Author Topic: Taylor Limiteds - Are they just about the looks?  (Read 14899 times)

Prizen

Taylor Limiteds - Are they just about the looks?
« on: February 17, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
Hey all,

I have never really given much thought to the Taylor Limited Edition models that they release (normally twice a year I think?).

I guess I have thought that if guitars are good enough and would be popular, why wouldn't they form part of the standard line-up. I thought that the limited edition runs are more about aesthetics rather than tone

However, my interest has been piqued recently, mainly due to the positive opinions on CV bracing that is used on some limiteds.

So, have you played standard and limited editions Taylors, and if so, has the tone of the limited matched or surpassed their beautiful aesthetics?

Would love to get your views?

Thanks!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Taylor Limiteds - Are they just about the looks?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:33:19 PM »
Look at the "Limiteds" as simply another guitar flavor, but it's a seasonal flavor as opposed to one in the regular lineup found on any day over the counter.

Whether the factory ends up procuring through chance a nice "wood find," or simply deciding to delve into their limited stash of coveted special woods, they create a limited line that is, truly, limited in number by sheer virtue of the small/finite supply of that species.  Sidebar: this is wholly different from "signature series" Limiteds where the number is held by purely arbitrary choice (witness Gibson, Fender, et.al.).

So in answer to the question of whether the Limiteds sonically live up to their aesthetics?  The answer is definitely maybe!

It's a guitar with different top/b/s wood combinations, and often with build specs; thus it has to be judged as a different guitar.  So whether that particular Ltd. floats your tonal boat really is as subjective a question as they come.  Personally, I've played many a Ltd and felt they were "merely" another nice Taylor (ok, not a bad thing right?), but nuttin tonally special.  Then there are my two personal favorite Ltd models (only one of which I own) that are tonal home runs.  My opinion only, and so it goes.

FWIW, one thing the Ltd models do have in their favor is the factory bundles lots of nice features that, were you to add these up yourself, you'd pay considerably more.  So assuming you like the tone of a given Ltd, it offers more bang-for-buck than a Modified/BTO'd version.

Edward

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:08:17 PM »
I agree with Edward on all points. Depending on the particular specimen, there are a few good things going on "under the hood" besides the unusual visual appointments. If you see/play one you like, they're usually worth the spend...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

cc407

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 01:10:22 PM »
I have to think there are some going for looks, and some going for different sound...and some combined.

In my case, a used 314LTD showed up while I was looking for an OM. I liked the sound better than the OM's I had tried. I also liked it more than standard 314's I had tried...plus it was less expensive than most guitars I was considering. But the sound was the thing.

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 11:57:13 AM »
Yes they are special, and I would not say just it is just about the looks.  A particular limited and if it appeals to you really depends on the wood combination, but almost always any of the 5 series or high limited editions get appointments and wood upgrades that would cost a tremendous amount of money if ordered as a BTO.

For example I have a 2015 Limited Edition 514ce-QS which if ordered as a BTO adds up to much more than the normal retail price.   The retail price for the 2015 limited was the same as the retail price of a standard 2015.

I have always considered the Limited Edition models as a poor mans BTO.   You get BTO options, but don't have to pay for them, but you lose the ability to choose the details.  So if you wait for a limited that has woods that get you excited, amazing deal.

Edited per forum rules $.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:19:05 PM by wooglins »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 02:29:33 PM »
Having bought three of them, I find the LTD's to be a good value on unique instruments.  Taylor also uses them as a test platform for new woods and build techniques.  If one speaks to you, grab it, as it won't come along again any time soon.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 07:30:24 PM »
4 of my 8 Taylors are limiteds. 3 are BTOs and one is a standard model (with mods).

No complaints here!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 10:19:14 PM »
I have to say the 314ce with cedar/RW gave me the chance to have that wood combination new at less than a used price for a well cared for Taylor. While I would prefer the gloss finish, the satin looks good and the sound is awesome.
The 414ce I love. They ended up adding the gloss finish as standard the next year, without the gold hardware, but I still got a fantastic guitar at a slight discount.
I have been happy with the LTD's.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 12:57:12 AM »
 I don't look at guitars while playing them, but I sure do listen. Quality, value, and wood pairings not offered outside of a BTO. What's not to like?
Shayne

2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2013 Taylor 616ce-LTD (African Ebony)
2012 Gibson USA Angus Young SG
2012 Taylor GSce-FLTD (Quilted Sapele)
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Redwood Tree

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 10:42:04 AM »
Been collecting and trading Taylor LTD. since my 1st 2000 810ce LOTF Brazilian.
 They are not all for looks, They are value add , Non production / off the wall standard models.
  As of 2008 They did start offering The CV bracing in certain years and LTD. offerings Some red spruced braced  some sitka braced.
 I dont own any standard run Taylors, all Ltd's Or Signature models.
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

steelerboy329

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 08:16:42 PM »
My favorite limiteds were the 2009 700 series with Madagascar Rosewood.  Those were some stellar guitars.
2016 Taylor 814 Brazilian

Guitarman

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »
The GS4e LTD that I acquired recently sounds as good (if not better) than some of the 800 series that I tried in my local guitar shop.
I have found it difficult to find exact specifications on the build and would be interested if anyone has more information about it.

I am also one who goes by the sound more than the looks (though it doesn't hurt if it's pretty :) )
'07 GS4e - LTD Tasmanian Blackwood
'99 414 Standard
Taylor GS Mini (Hog)
Martin HD28
Martin D1 (1998)
Martin Ed Sheeran x signature edition
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender Tele Custom
Ozark 3515BTE Resonator
Washburn Parlor Guitar

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 07:40:12 PM »
My favorite limiteds were the 2009 700 series with Madagascar Rosewood.  Those were some stellar guitars.

I enjoyed one of those for about six months.  At that time guitar rodeo had the buy back deal and I swapped it for a really amazing used BTO.

All Together

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 11:57:47 PM »
Look at the "Limiteds" as simply another guitar flavor, but it's a seasonal flavor as opposed to one in the regular lineup found on any day over the counter.

Whether the factory ends up procuring through chance a nice "wood find," or simply deciding to delve into their limited stash of coveted special woods, they create a limited line that is, truly, limited in number by sheer virtue of the small/finite supply of that species.  Sidebar: this is wholly different from "signature series" Limiteds where the number is held by purely arbitrary choice (witness Gibson, Fender, et.al.).

So in answer to the question of whether the Limiteds sonically live up to their aesthetics?  The answer is definitely maybe!

It's a guitar with different top/b/s wood combinations, and often with build specs; thus it has to be judged as a different guitar.  So whether that particular Ltd. floats your tonal boat really is as subjective a question as they come.  Personally, I've played many a Ltd and felt they were "merely" another nice Taylor (ok, not a bad thing right?), but nuttin tonally special.  Then there are my two personal favorite Ltd models (only one of which I own) that are tonal home runs.  My opinion only, and so it goes.

FWIW, one thing the Ltd models do have in their favor is the factory bundles lots of nice features that, were you to add these up yourself, you'd pay considerably more.  So assuming you like the tone of a given Ltd, it offers more bang-for-buck than a Modified/BTO'd version.

Edward

Nope.

The limiteds are guitars that would otherwise compete with their standard lines, so Taylor doesn't want that to happen. Take the 400 Rosewood limiteds. They could continue producing Rosewood guitars for 400 prices, but that would mean they don't get to make the extra markup of the 800 series with the extra bling.

Imagine if Martin didn't produce the D-28 and you could only buy the D-40.

The truth is Taylor could produce Sitka/Rosewood 400s or Cedar/Rosewood 400s, it's not like Rosewood is in short supply, but they don't make as much profit on that as a 800 series. So they put out the Rosewood limiteds every now and then (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015) to catch the customers who couldn't afford the 800s that slipped through the cracks, but otherwise they are happy to keep selling the target customer the 800s at the higher price point (usually worship band members at megachurches with a lot of money).

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 05:28:32 PM »
I've always considered the limiteds to be outstanding guitars for the money.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele