Author Topic: Hello Everyone and Welcome!  (Read 111656 times)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Hello Everyone and Welcome!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 12:50:18 AM »
Hello everyone,
I just recieved my taylor DN3 yesteday and I am, of course thrilled.
This is my first Taylor, and playing it for the first time has done nothing less than exceed my expectations.
I did a lot of research on the internet concerning this purchase and learned a great deal about Taylors in general.
In the past I had a couple of concerns about Taylor Dreadnaoughts, most of all their reputation as being on the "bright" side. This as been completley dispelled by my acquisition of the DN3. I couldn't ask for a better base response.
I also read a good bit about concerns with the 1 3/4 fretboard when it came to finger picking. I don't understand that at all. I have a good many guitars with varying fingerboard width. Seems if you can fingerpick a 12 string, a seagull, or any classical guitar that you would welcome the extra space on the DN3. To each his own.
This is a great guitar.
I can only imagine what an 8 series sounds like. But I am very happy with mine.
Other guitars include:
Alvarez MD60
Alvarez AJ60SE
Takamine EF 385 12 string
 Couple of very old and well aged Yamaha Classicals
and another 12 string or two
The only one that comes close to matching the harmonics of the Taylor is the Masterworks Cedar, and when I played it today after putting the DN3 down it sounded like it had a headcold.
Play on, Bigdogjer
hi Bigdog,
good to see you here :)
WELCOME !congrats on the DN3 :D
in terms of fingerpicking, i've heard that a slightly wider neck is preferable to some & that
flatpicking tends to favor a slightly narrower neck & string spacing, but it's all about one's
personal preference, imho, & i'm glad that the DN3 complements the rest of your arsenal 8)

looking forward to hearing more from you -
thanks for sharing & please make yourself comfortable :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Jeff Brisbin

• www.jeffbrisbin.com
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 11:12:43 PM »
Hello from Saratoga Springs, NY ...

My name is Jeff Brisbin. I'm a Solo/Singer/Songwriter who gigs quite a bit ... I should hit my 800th gig around August.

I'm proud to say I've been playing Taylors since 2003.
My first Taylor was an 814ce ... what a great, beautifully built instrument.

The latest Taylor that gave me G.A.S. is my new 2011 T-5C with a gloss Black Spruce top. Being a solo player, this guitar allows me
to change up my tone so easily ... as D Copper (Mr. T5) always says ... it's not a Les Paul, Strat or Taylor 810 ...
it's a T-5 .... and it has it's own awesome tones.
I got it at the end of September 2011 and when played
through my Bose L1 PA System ... it just has such beautiful tone. I've never had so many comments and compliments about what a beautifully built guitar it is.

I'm so glad you started this Forum. I'm a member over at AGF ... and it's a great Forum ... but I wanted a place where Taylor Guitars would be the focus.
I certainly will join Brian's new Taylor Forum too ... and I agree that there's room for both !!!!!

So thank you for this Forum ... I know we will all enjoy it ... the more we all give our "two cents" and participate.

www.jeffbrisbin.com
Taylor T5C Black Gloss
Bose L1, Model ll
B1 Subwoofer
T1 Audio Engine
Shure 58A Beta

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 06:25:42 PM »
It's great to have you here Jeff!  Make yourself at home!!! :)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »
Hello everyone,
I just recieved my taylor DN3 yesteday and I am, of course thrilled.

Congratulations on finding a great guitar, Bigdogler! I have a GA3 and a 314ce both which are on the warm side (that's what I love about them). Not all 3xx Taylors are warm, but I hunted all over when searching for my 314ce because I wanted the same type of warmth that my GA3 has. Hope to see you around on the forum...if you can pry that DN3 from your hands. ;)
Cindy

Bigdogjer

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 01:30:52 AM »
Thanks for the nice Welcomes, folks.
I am still romancing my new Dn3. I still play the Alvarez md60 a good bit, and also enjoy the tak ef 385 12.
I having been playing again for a number of years now after putting the guitar down for a couple of decades.
I'll never be great, but lordie I love playing, I had picked up playing again as a means of helping me to write music for stage shows that I have written. This has led me to occassionaly sitting in with a few times with professional  musicians for a song or two at gigs.
Which has led me to my current self challenge; that is to play more often standing up, without the aide of a footstool, barstool, or support of any kind other than the legs I was born with.
The DN3 is still a sweet heart, even during my standing evolution, but dang it's a struggle to feel comfortable and secure with a strap on. I ordered a Taylor Strap. It's a beaut, but any temp. Strap lock attachement  to  the end pin seems hopless, since it has such a large cap. I won't consider any permanent alteration. I  know the DN3 is of a rather straight forward asthetic nauture, but I intend to leave it as Mr. Taylor and God created it. Any thoughts toward temp strap secuity?
My next post will be to bore you with changing the elixers to another brand. I love sound but I've got a set of Dean Markly Acoustic Alchemy mediums that I'm itching to try.

dgaemc2

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 11:51:52 PM »
Hello everybody, and thank you JJ for setting up this new Taylor Guitar forum!!  8)

A bit of history about me.......I have been playing acoustic and electric guitars for about 20 years.  I enjoy playing both and have so much gear it is ridiculous, but that is another story.

My very first guitar was an Alvarez while I was in college in 1982.  That was a good starter guitar for me and I played it throughout my college years.  Upon graduation (and obtaining a job), I purchased a couple of decent upgrade guitars over the next few years.  My first real Taylor guitar experience was when I played through a new 2002 314ce at a local music store.  It really felt much better than my previous acoustic guitars and sounded fantastic to me!  I still own my 314 (which has really opened up and sounds better than day one), and have since added a 2010 814ce and most recently a 2012 416ce.  Admittedly, my 314ce hasn't received near as much play time as the other two, but all 3 guitars are excellent in different ways to me!

Oh, I have also gotten into the GSMini bandwagon, and own a 2011 spruce and a 2012 mahogany top GSMini.  My GSMini guitars sound and play incredibly well and are a lot of fun to take on a weekend venture.  I actually even let "others" play my Minis......lol

Anyway, thanks for setting up this forum and sending me an invitation link!!  :D

Sir Boomstick

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am the proud new owner of a Taylor 210ce. I've been playing guitar for about 16 years and this is the first time I've spent more than 500$ on an acoustic.  I'm loving the tone on my new instrument...can't put it down!

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 12:33:17 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am the proud new owner of a Taylor 210ce. I've been playing guitar for about 16 years and this is the first time I've spent more than 500$ on an acoustic.  I'm loving the tone on my new instrument...can't put it down!

Welcome Sir Broomstick!  Glad to have you here!  Don't love it too much...Taylors are addicting!  There's no cure.   ;)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

S.K. Lee

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Hello, My name is Kelly Lee and I just bought my first Taylor, a 114CE. I actually traded 3 off brand guitars and some cash for it. Really like the sound but already want to move up to another Taylor.
Any suggestions on them, 516-716CE or GS-5?
Thanks Kelly

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2012, 06:16:28 PM »
 Hi Kelly. Welcome to the site. Enjoy your 114ce.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

rickybtaylor

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2012, 08:18:58 AM »
HI RICKY MAYHEW HERE. I AM 64 YEARS OLD WITH SHORT FINGER. I PLAY UKULELE AND MANDOLIN TRYED PLAYING GUITARS TOO BIG. LAST WEEK WE STOPPED AT GOODWILL NEAR WHERE I LIVE. GUESS WHAT I FOUND IN THE CORNER. BABY TAYLOR AND TAYLOR GIGBAG. WHAT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!!! 2004 305 BABY TAYLOR. IF YOU HAVE SMALL HANDS THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED. IT SOUND SWEET. NOW ALL I HAVE TO DO IS LEARN SOME MORE CHORDS. I HAVE BEEN PLAYING IT USING UKE CHORDS. I ONLY STARTED PLAYING 2 YEARS AGO. ON SMALL JOHNSON UKULELE ALSO BOUGHT AT GOODWILL. I LOVE PLAYING OLD GOSPEL SONG AND PLAYING AT CHURCH. TAYLOR RULES!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:23:17 AM by michaelw »

rickybtaylor

HELLO FROM NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2012, 08:27:06 AM »
BOULDER CREEK UKE TENOR-OSCAR SCHMIDT CONCERT BOTH ELECTRIC. ROGUE ELECTRIC MANOILIN IBANEZ EX ELECTRIC GUITAR SQUIRE STRAT
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:54:16 AM by rickybtaylor »

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »
 Hi Ricky. Welcome to the site. Congrats on finding the Baby Taylor.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
Hi Ricky and welcome, congrats on your Taylor find.

I love to play the uke too and have a OS OU7T that I really like.  Looking to get the Les Paul uke soon so I can get "plugged in" as well.

Great to have you join us!!

Johan814ce

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 01:03:55 PM »
Hello guys, I hope we will have here a good time (my english is sometimes terrible, but ok)
I'm looking for a new Taylor and learn more about those guitar.
Thanks for inviting God bless Johan