Author Topic: Hello Everyone and Welcome!  (Read 111664 times)

Rokit

• Life's what happens while making other plans
Re: Hello Everyone and Welcome!
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2018, 02:56:28 PM »
Hello from Colorado Springs, Colorado everyone!

Thanks to Josh for putting up this site. I purchased my first Taylor guitar, 614ce L30, in late 2004 when I lived in Virginal. In 2009, I was living in Seoul South Korea and picked up my 2005 T5. I love the way my Taylor guitars feel in my hands and I'm all-in when we talk Taylor Quality. I'm a big fan of Bob and his crew and I love reading my Wood & Steels. I am a retired man with lots of hobbies in addition to music. I enjoy online collaborations with other musicians and posting my recordings to my website. I am also a Classic Car/Truck enthusiast. I own a 1966 Chevy C10 StepSide Short-Bed, converted to 4WD. I collect plastic model kits and it has become an obsession. I am almost finished putting together a 1955 Chevy Cameo pickup. I'm doing the whole bit on this build including airbrush paint and bare metal foil. In addition, I love taking care of my house and playing with my grandchildren. Oh, and I am a huge Bowie and Lennon fan, have been 4ever!

I hope to chat with and get to know my fellow members.

Cheers,
Rick
(Rokit)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:56:56 AM by Rokit »
Taylor 614ce L30 30th Anniversary
Taylor T5 (2005)
David Bowie Supro Electric
Gretsch G5420T Electromatic
Dean Classical
Ovation 12-String
Dexter 6-String
Alvarez Grateful Dead 50th Anniversary (2015)
Fender Squire Strat
Epiphone SG Special
Ibanez A-style Manodolin
Yamaha Keyboard
Focusrite Audio Interface
TASCAM and BOSS digital recording
Shure and Audio Technica Mics

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2018, 08:43:22 PM »
Nice intro, welcome Rick!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2018, 12:26:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum Rokit.  Sure would love to see a picture of the Cameo when you have it done. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Rokit

« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2018, 11:56:47 AM »
MGap, thanks for the reply. I'll get some pics of the Cameo up soon. Here is a pic of my life-size 66 C10! Along with a Guitar Acquisition Syndrome flowchart.  :D

Welcome to the forum Rokit.  Sure would love to see a picture of the Cameo when you have it done. 
Taylor T5 (2005)
Dean Classical
Ovation 12-String
Dexter 6-String
Fender Squire Strat
Epiphone SG Special
Ibanez A-style Manodolin
Yamaha Keyboard

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2018, 11:24:05 PM »
MGap, thanks for the reply. I'll get some pics of the Cameo up soon. Here is a pic of my life-size 66 C10! Along with a Guitar Acquisition Syndrome flowchart.  :D

Very cool Chevy, love those lines.  I have riden many of them.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

guitpicker

• Plectrum style since the 50's
« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
Hello from Minnesota...
Started my guitar career in the 50's with a neighborhood rock band...like many others from my era, practicing in garages and playing the local scene. Some of my favorites were Chet Atkins and johnny Smith. Though I love to listen to finger style playing, I never concentrated my efforts in that direction...just the use of the flat pick.  Later in my musical career (hobby) played with jobbing bands doing all types of music. Most of my efforts are now at home with some occasional volunteer gigs.
i purchased my first Taylor 210 about 6 years ago and have worked with that one most of the time. I always wanted a high quality acoustic and finally invested in a Taylor 814es deluxe...great guitar. Now my immediate challenge is to match an amp to the guitar and my style of playing. Not as easy as I thought it would be. But like they always say "your getting older now and you see and hear things differently". Well, this is the kind of challenge I'm looking for and will rely on this forum to help. I really appreciate the wisdom I've seen displayed and look forward to the education and enjoyment.

Guitpicker
Guild Starfire-1965
Gretsch-Country Club
Gibson ES335-1959 copy
Taylor 210 2012
Taylor 814ec dlx 2017
Alvarez KF200
Fender Strat 1975
Fender Tele dlx 2015
Yamaha SPG500
Kala Baritone Uke

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »
Welcome guitpicker. Looking forward to having you join in the discussions....I bet you have a lot a great knowledge, based on your guitresume.  :)
Susie

Rokit

« Reply #247 on: March 04, 2018, 11:14:40 AM »
I finished up the Cameo, here is the pic. I better include a picture of a Taylor guitar as  well!

...Sure would love to see a picture of the Cameo when you have it done. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:43:11 PM by Rokit »
Taylor T5 (2005)
Dean Classical
Ovation 12-String
Dexter 6-String
Fender Squire Strat
Epiphone SG Special
Ibanez A-style Manodolin
Yamaha Keyboard

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #248 on: March 04, 2018, 11:07:42 PM »
Super nice job on the Chev pickup. 
The cabs on that model are so cool.

Rokit

« Reply #249 on: March 05, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
Thanks! I love the 55 pickups since it is the same year I was born -- yep I'm a classic issue too!  ::) My cousin restored one of these babies while I was overseas. I kicked myself when I got back because I would have bought it in a second! He took care of me though and found my 66 Chevy pickup at a local car dealer. I didn't hold back and following Commanding Officer approval (that's my Wife  :P ), I bought it! I like to take my truck camping and I love sitting around the campfire, noodling on my guitar. My Taylor's stay at home -- both much too pricey to take camping so I take my Dexter or Alvarez GD 50 along.

Between my guitars, my pickup and my scale model collecting/building obsession, I'm a pretty happy guy. I got more than I ever thought I'd have in this life. It sounds like a materialistic thing and it probably is...but I grew up believing "he with the most toys, WINS!" Oh well, you can tell I'm jaded!

Super nice job on the Chev pickup. 
The cabs on that model are so cool.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:11:18 PM by Rokit »
Taylor T5 (2005)
Dean Classical
Ovation 12-String
Dexter 6-String
Fender Squire Strat
Epiphone SG Special
Ibanez A-style Manodolin
Yamaha Keyboard

DelMcG

« Reply #250 on: March 26, 2018, 10:58:37 PM »
Hello all! I've just acquired a beautiful 320e Hog/Sapele. Gorgeous tone and is quite the chameleon too: Can pump out some bass-heavy blue grass to lovely, almost classical sounding finger-picked lines. I'm impressed (I guess that's why I bought it). I kept comparing it to a Martin D-28 that was hanging on the wall near by and it kept up with it well. The Martin was a little bit easier to play, but volume-wise the Taylor pretty much kept up, even though the Martin was selling for twice the cost.
Regarding tone, it's often assumed that b/c it's a Taylor, the bass won't be as full, but with this guitar, at least, it was very nice and the mahogany gives it a richer/darker tone, which I like. 
I have had a Big Baby Taylor and a Jewel signature model (beautiful guit) in the past, but sold them both for financial reasons.
The only complaint I have is that the action is just a titch high, sitting about 1/64th above spec on the bass side. I'm going to bring it to our local authorized Taylor guitar tech and have him work his set-up magic on it and, hopefully, dial in the playability for me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:02:30 PM by DelMcG »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2018, 07:44:14 AM »
Welcome DelMcG!
Susie

Mark Stone

• Littledog Music
    • Littledog Music
« Reply #252 on: March 27, 2018, 10:17:17 AM »
Hello all! I've just acquired a beautiful 320e Hog/Sapele. Gorgeous tone and is quite the chameleon too: Can pump out some bass-heavy blue grass to lovely, almost classical sounding finger-picked lines. I'm impressed (I guess that's why I bought it). I kept comparing it to a Martin D-28 that was hanging on the wall near by and it kept up with it well. The Martin was a little bit easier to play, but volume-wise the Taylor pretty much kept up, even though the Martin was selling for twice the cost.
Regarding tone, it's often assumed that b/c it's a Taylor, the bass won't be as full, but with this guitar, at least, it was very nice and the mahogany gives it a richer/darker tone, which I like. 
I have had a Big Baby Taylor and a Jewel signature model (beautiful guit) in the past, but sold them both for financial reasons.
The only complaint I have is that the action is just a titch high, sitting about 1/64th above spec on the bass side. I'm going to bring it to our local authorized Taylor guitar tech and have him work his set-up magic on it and, hopefully, dial in the playability for me.
Hi DelMcG!! Welcome to the community from a fellow "new guy". This is a great group and very friendly.

Yes, I hear all the time how Taylor instruments "have no bass", but I think it's one of those self-propagating internet forum things. Although they are brighter than Gibsons or Martins generally, they have plenty of bass and plenty of punch. Even my modest 110e outperforms my last Gibson (a Hummingbird Pro that cost maybe 4 times as much!) in the bass department.

Again, welcome!
2015 Taylor 110e (ES2)
1977 Kazuo Yairi Conquistador (Classical)
https://litledog.blogspot.com/p/introduction_26.html

taytay

« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2018, 09:21:55 PM »
Howdy all

Thank you for adding me to your forum!

My name is Greg from Melbourne, Oz and I am on the cusp of purchasing a Taylor 312CE...so help me God!

Greg

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #254 on: April 09, 2018, 09:50:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Greg!
Susie