Author Topic: Los Angeles area Taylor fan  (Read 960 times)

Norm Gen

Los Angeles area Taylor fan
« on: December 06, 2016, 09:37:14 AM »
Hello, I play mostly pop song covers from 1960's to current songs, Beatles, and Eric Clapton acoustic blues.  I love covering guitar riffs. I started out when I was 10 y/o with a cheap nylon-string guitar. Stopped playing when I got married. Picked it up again after 10 years and bought a Takamine. Then I was mesmerized by Clapton's unplugged MTV, and got a Martin "000" size guitar and learned Layla and other songs on that album.  Then got another Martin (a smaller "00"). Then I went to a concert of the band "America" in late 90's, they played Taylors, and I loved the sound.  Then I saw a video of a Kenny Loggins acoustic concert, I loved that sound. He was playing Taylors too. So I got intrigued, and got a GA-size Taylor. That became my main guitar for the longest time.  It was followed by a baby Taylor, a Baritone, and a Mini, but the GA was still my main player.  Then my learning plateaued and radio music got uninteresing for guitar, so again I stopped playing guitar (my second hiatus from guitar) and got into another hobby for nearly 10 years.   Then I discovered all these "how to play xxxxx on guitar" Youtube videos, and picked up the guitar again and learned acoustic covers like Hotel California, Billie Jean, etc. I've never learned songs so fast, thanks to Youtube.  Recently I rewarded myself with a new 2016 Taylor 618e. I've also been a fan of Bob Taylor and his stewardship of his company and the resources he uses.
Norman (couple of Taylors and Martins)

NavyChap

• Veteran Member
Re: Los Angeles area Taylor fan
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:04:05 PM »
Norm Gen - welcome to the Taylor Forum/clan!!!
2015 Taylor 314ce
1997 Taylor 414ce
2005 Zager ZAD50CE
2016 Seagull S6 Original
2016 Epiphone PR-5E/N

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 01:51:36 PM »
Werlcome to the forum Norm Gen.  That is a very nice collection. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »
Beautiful collection of guitars! Welcome!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mandoloonie

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 05:31:35 PM »
Cool story.   I seem to have had similar ups and downs but when I checked out I played banjo or mandolin for awhile.