Author Topic: What is the audibly discernible difference between standard Taylors and R Taylor  (Read 953 times)

Engelmann

Someone mentioned in another thread that he could hear an audibly discernible difference between R Taylor guitars and regular Taylor guitars, yet refused to elaborate on what this audibly discernible difference is. My experience is there is no audibly discernible difference. I have purchased R Taylors in the past because they happened to be good deals and were in tonewood combinations I liked, but I would have been equally happy had I been able to make a BTO with similar specs at a similar price.

For those who hear this audibly discernible difference, what is the difference that you hear? How would you describe the difference? More bass/mids/treble? More clarity/overtones? More "vintage" versus "modern" tone? Surely if there is such an audibly discernible difference, some general consensus could be reached as to what the difference is, just like how for Collings Traditional models, despite having some degree of variability as everyone hears things different, most people can generally agree they have more bass and scooped mids compared to their standard series. Otherwise the differences are probably just due to different tonewood combinations.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:52:22 PM by Engelmann »

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
I'm likely in the minority on this -- at least, on this forum -- but I've never felt that (aside from different aesthetics) the R. Taylor brand offered anything tone-wise that wasn't already present in the regular Taylor line.  As for the guitar-buying public, I have a sense that they tended to perceive that there wasn't enough of an added tonal benefit in order to justify the significantly higher price for the R. Taylor line.

Yeah, I understand the pride that comes from having a luthier-built instrument (I've owned two Goodalls), but if all the little things that come from hand-making a guitar don't add up to superior tone, then I (and apparently others) aren't going to buy into the price difference.

I think the idea of a big company hand-making guitars, in order to achieve something that can't be accomplished with machines and conveyor belts, is really a noble thought.  But I felt that Taylor's foray into this territory was a less-than-stellar execution.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

wooglins

• Veteran Member
Huge difference, and I have owned about 15 standards.  My R. Taylor puts them all to shame.   I think the biggest benefits are provided by the ASymetrical bracing, the solid lining, and very light build.   Back when they still made them they had a body with no top or back, just sides with lining.   The body with no top or sides was as solid as a completed guitar.   With kerfed linings such an example is very flexible. 

Tonally the dynamics are so much greater than a standard Taylor.   The ability to draw an individual note from silence to maximum volume, the same for a chord, etc.   Very similar to the boutique guitars like Huss and Dalton, Santa Cruz, and Collings that I have owned or sampled.

FWIW I dumped the most amazing guitar I ever owned (a custom Huss and Dalton) for a R. Taylor.   The R. Taylor is just that good.  My previous favorite Taylor I had was a BTO GS with Adi over Cocobolo.   It was a stunning instrument both acoustically and tonally, but not in the same ball park as the R. Taylor I have now which is Alpine Spruce over Rosewood.

dmccrider

Here in San Diego, I've seen and played a lot of R Taylor guitars. In my subjective opinion, I have experienced a wide variety of tone from them, some I would say have been as good or better than anything else I've heard from a regular Taylor, some not so much so, BUT they have always been outstandingly crafted instruments, that's what I've noticed most about them.