Author Topic: T5z ?  (Read 932 times)

paulin

T5z ?
« on: January 21, 2018, 12:25:19 AM »
Due to advancing age and having rather small hands and fingers, I've been considering buying a T5z for it's playability and comfortable size.  What I'm worried about is, having always playing acoustics, will I have difficulty playing the smaller fretboard radius and lighter strings? 

I once tried a semi hollow body electric and promptly returned it as I could not keep it in pitch, probably from my acoustic death grip. 

Have any of you who have made the leap from acoustic to T5z had this problem?  Were you able to overcome it?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

KM Frye

Re: T5z ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 12:33:02 AM »
I have a friend who has played acoustic exclusively for nearly 50 years.  When I handed him my then-new T5z in April for the first time, he latched on to it like it was one of his own Larrivees or Taylors. Within seconds was finding his way around the neck like they were old partners.

We don't perform together much any more, but told me towards the end of that evening that he could see himself with "one of these".

That was the dyed-in-the-wool acoustic player.   His only small quibble was the jumbo frets, but after a few moments, they didn't seem to matter any more.

Kevin Frye
Composer, conductor, player

Taylor T5Z
Rickenbacker 370/12
Gretsch 6122 CG
Fender FJ
Beaver Creek classical parlor guitar

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: T5z ?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:57:14 AM »
Something that you might consider in your decision process is to try the T5 as well as the T5z.  I'd say they are equivalent in terms of playability; but with its larger size, I find that the T5 rests in my lap in a more familiar position (i.e., similar to an acoustic) than the smaller T5z does.  The T5z is more similar in size to a Gibson Les Paul.

Ultimately, though, we can train ourselves to adapt to just about anything; and since it sounds like a T5z might become your regular guitar, my thought may not matter much either way.  But a T5 might make the adjustment from acoustic to hybrid guitar more seamless than a T5z.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)