Author Topic: 1.25.18  (Read 9687 times)

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 1.25.18
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 01:50:05 PM »
After looking at the link for the patent, I think the new bracing pattern what the big reveal will be.

P.S. Did anyone notice that Andy's full name is ANDREW TAYLOR POWERS?

I seem to recall Bob saying that Andy was like a son to him. Hmm.....

do you know the story of how bob found andy? it’s a miraculous story, if you don’t know, i’ll look for a video link.
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
After looking at the link for the patent, I think the new bracing pattern what the big reveal will be.

P.S. Did anyone notice that Andy's full name is ANDREW TAYLOR POWERS?

I seem to recall Bob saying that Andy was like a son to him. Hmm.....

do you know the story of how bob found andy? it’s a miraculous story, if you don’t know, i’ll look for a video link.

This might be the video you're thinking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HcfVJNOspo

Andy is Bob's "Godchild".  8)

Bob's a very committed Christian and he literally wrote what he calls his "Dear God" letter, listing the characteristics Bob needed in his successor. Andy checked all the boxes. Check out the video to hear Bob tell it.

For more on that, check out this great co-interview:
http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/gear-pioneers/the-makers-bob-taylor-and-andy-powers-of-taylor-guitars
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

deepermagic

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 10:20:50 AM »
Just curious, I haven't shoved my head into a newer than 2012 Taylor soundhole, but since the transition from Bob to Andy, has Andy's signature been on the labels?

no, they have not. this one does though.

Right. That's what's making me wonder if there'll be something bigger than bracing...

Drock2k1

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »
I'm sure it's not it but hey, maybe Taylor decided to make a second attempt at their own line of amps and the Andy Powers signature on the label isn't literal, just a figurative way of saying Andy is putting his signature on the Taylor brand. I'm 100% positive that I am wrong and it's probably a new line of guitars but oh well, fun to guess.

If I could have a wish granted, it would be a redesigned T5 model. It's always been one of my favorite guitars in the world that I could never get the sound out of it that I wanted. I am in the minority here I am sure.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:21:02 AM by Drock2k1 »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »
When they say "biggest," it truly better be the biggest, otherwise, they risk making a fool of themselves, like so many other companies that claim "innovation" when it is little more than updates or changes.

IMHO:

1. The change to the ES was big!  All R&D done in house; truly a game changer.  All the ES changes thereafter, including to ES2, are just "changes."
2. The NT system: revolutionized guitar making, period.  Initially dismissed by the so-called big boys as a mere "bolt on" --ergo "cheap"-- build process, it has proven itself over time. Witness the innumerable notable makers who have done similarly.  Huge!
3. The brand R.Taylor: bold, sweeping, and well executed.  That it did not survive beyond its ~6 year life speaks more of the market and its perceptions than the nature of these stellar guitars and mini company, itself.

All other "big" stuff Taylor has done is, IMHO, simply changes they make to keep themselves relevant and in the forefront.  Amps, new models, changes to the product line are merely that: changes.  The Bari, the GO, GSm, et.al. were additions, but hardly as revolutionary as the aforementioned.  Necessary, but not monumental.

So yes, I think this "biggest" thing they are touting is more a "direction" than a "thing."  Namely, Andy at the helm, in concert with a "thing" he's brought to the table, and Bob taking a wholly different role.  Bob, himself, has alluded to such in recent years.  So maybe it incorporates a bracing change, but not merely a bracing change.  Afterall, that's just a "revoice" of a guitar.  I'm waiting, but not with baited breath.  :)

Edward

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 09:56:25 AM »
The big announcement could be that Andy is taking over.  No more Bob, or any involvement from him.  Although we have seen this coming, I think that the complete take over(in a good way)is possibly the news.  Andy may now own Taylor guitar and Bob is let out to pasture with a stipend retirement, haha
Having seen the video with Andy putting the label on the unfinished guitar, I did not see Bob's name on it at all, hmmmm.
This would be like Chris Martin stepping down and no Martin running or owning the company. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking.  Bob has mentioned how he likes his new "other" role, one where he focuses on the procurement of material, helping ensure its viability, and most of all caring for the people and communities he works with in these countries.

This is a veritable trifecta of talent: Bob at the raw materials end, Kurt at the operational/financial corner, and Andy at R&D putting chisel to wood.  Can't see anything wrong from where I'm sitting :)

Edward

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
Of course Bob only owns half of Taylor, Kurt has always been there too. Plus, I don’t think changing control would qualify as the “biggest” innovation yet, although Andy has had a profound impact on the company and product and I expect his role to expand, I expect the “big” thing has to do with product.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

splendora

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 03:45:26 PM »
Hmm.. I just received an email from Taylor Guitar with an link to an article explaining the basics of bracing, and referring back to their article on sustain/volume. I wonder if that's a hint as to the announcement as well...

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 09:05:36 PM »
Fan braced steel string parlor.  Small back, recent patent that looks like fan bracing, but not robust enough for full size guitar possibly, but huge sound in small body guitars.

Additionally looks like builders reserve which is sometimes used to test market for new product.

No sense dumping performance bracing across the line as well.  To many bracing changes in short time.

Will be first guitar to feature Andy on label without Bob.

Engelmann

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 07:35:12 AM »
When they say "biggest," it truly better be the biggest, otherwise, they risk making a fool of themselves, like so many other companies that claim "innovation" when it is little more than updates or changes.

IMHO:

3. The brand R.Taylor: bold, sweeping, and well executed.  That it did not survive beyond its ~6 year life speaks more of the market and its perceptions than the nature of these stellar guitars and mini company, itself.

Sure there was marketing saying that they had solid purflings, but it was actually near impossible to discern any audible difference between them and regular Taylors. The fact that they are no longer around when Martin still does well with their Authentic line shows that it was more about branding rather than another level of guitar. Not many Taylor fans themselves have missed the tone of R Taylor guitars since their demise, and have their Taylor fixes satisfied with the standard Taylors today.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 10:51:32 AM »
WRT^^^
I notice a discernably lighter weight, lighter build, and tonal difference; this across the several that I've had in my hands.  The solid lining (purfling is aesthetic, and is part of the binding) likewise is a significant build difference vs "kerfed" lining in productions guitars, and these build differences go beyond just this.  These differences add up, and it is all immediately discernable, and doesn't take a guitar wonk to tell. Moreover, I've run into more than a few who hear and feel the likewise; just as there are who don't or can't tell the diff.  That Martin's Authentic line has any bearing on this discussion is akin to the effect of the price of tea in China.   Innumerable market forces play in the rise and fall of any product line, let alone a company, and discussing so in this venue adds nothing here.  So I guess we'll just have to disagree on this.  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:05:29 AM by Edward »

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 10:53:21 AM »
The biggest announcement will be the new V Class or "V-bracing". Since it's Andy's patent, Bob I'm sure told him to put his name on those labels. That goes along with Bob being on record this is possibly the biggest innovation in their history. Time to set Andy free. Note the label says "Andy Powers, Master Guitar Maker". Not CEO, etc. Whether they announce Andy "taking over" as CEO, we'll see. Actually I think it would be a bit strange to announce that or for that to be a part of NAMM, I'm sure Andy would want to focus on the guitars, not him, at the show.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:57:26 AM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2018, 11:49:07 AM »
The label that Andy Powers is placing on the back has his name, and I think that's the key. I predict that Taylor will discontinue the Presentation series and replace it with the Andy Powers series which may have the bracing shown on the patent application as well as fancy inlay, binding, and the highest grade of back/side/top woods.....

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 12:30:49 PM »
The biggest announcement will be the new V Class or "V-bracing". Since it's Andy's patent, Bob I'm sure told him to put his name on those labels. That goes along with Bob being on record this is possibly the biggest innovation in their history. Time to set Andy free. Note the label says "Andy Powers, Master Guitar Maker". Not CEO, etc. Whether they announce Andy "taking over" as CEO, we'll see. Actually I think it would be a bit strange to announce that or for that to be a part of NAMM, I'm sure Andy would want to focus on the guitars, not him, at the show.

it sure seems that way with all the having emails i’m getting from taylor

take a look at the bracing on the small guitar on top of the builder reserve page, V shape

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/builders-reserve

another parlor from taylor would be cool, i love my grand concerts, but i would def get a parlor if the price was reasonable
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir