Author Topic: Guitar Drama...(weird NGD for 322e 12-fret)  (Read 2031 times)

jrowe

Guitar Drama...(weird NGD for 322e 12-fret)
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:20:46 AM »
As I posted in the intro forum, I'm new to Taylors. I had purchased a 510e from Sweetwater around Christmas and when it arrived it had a small spot of finish missing on the soundhole binding and the 2nd string tuner had a lot of play in it. Sweetwater was awesome to swap it out, however the replacement was worse than the original. It turns out it had been mistakenly returned to "new" stock after being with someone for a while. That person did not do it any favors. This guitar stunk (literally and figuratively)...it smelled like someone's B.O. and stale cigarettes. Also, they had messed around w/ the truss rod and the action was nearly 3 mil. at the 12th fret, and had swapped the strings doing a messy job on the slothead. Ugh.

Actually, at this point i was just sick of the 510e anyway, and decided to move back to a smaller body which is what made me fall in love with Taylor anyway. I do like short scale, so I decided to get a 322e 12-fret and I really couldn't be happier. I should have ordered this in the first place (but I thought I wanted a dread). So, I saved $xx and got a guitar I like better ultimately.

Here is a short clip of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc_MkrC-gkI

$, per forum rules
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:05:32 PM by TaylorGirl »
322e 12-fret (Mahogany/Tasmanian Blackwood)
3 John 2

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Guitar Drama...(weird NGD for 322e 12-fret)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:28:09 AM »
A long way to get there, but it sounds like you are really happy. Congrats! :)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
Those 300s are really nice instruments - love my 324e...congrats on your happy landing!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:47:18 PM »
Sounds incredible! And it's a looker, too! ;D Personally I prefer the tone of the 3xx series over the 5xx. Congrats on a beauty. :)
Cindy

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:55:48 PM »
Congrats!  That Mahogany / Tasmanian Blackwood combo is just magic!  8) 
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 06:09:33 AM »
Very nice! I think if this had been out when I got my 522 I would have opted for it! Congrats.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 08:28:02 AM »
Congratulations on the 322e-12th fret.  That is a big change in body style and a good change at that.  Many people say that one needs a cutaway with a 12th fret but I don't believe that is necessarily true.  I think the traditional look is very cool and like it.  I am an unashamed mahogany nut but I hear nothing but good things about your guitar.  So once again congratulations.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

jrowe

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »
Thanks folks,
It's a big change from the 510e I had for a couple of weeks, but I did play a Martin 000-15 for about 10 years. I sold it a couple of years ago thinking I wanted a dread, but to be honest I haven't been comfortable with a guitar since, and I had a nagging hunch to try this 322 and I'm glad I did. It felt like home. I'm not really a "flatpicker" in the strict sense in that I'm in a bluegrass band competing w/ banjos and fiddles, but I'm more of a relaxed crosspicker who picks tunes and I do also do some fingerpicking from time to time (kind of in the Merle Travis/Doc Watson and occasionally Chet and Tommy vein). Norman Blake uses a small body mostly these days (Gibson L00 and various Martin 0, 00, and 000 12-fretters) and Robert Bowlin is someone I've been listening to lately (his 6-string soliloquy album is fantastic) and he uses a smaller body as well.

I had glanced at the 322 when I bought the 510 but I was mistakenly thinking that the GC body was more like a Martin 00, but it's really more like the 000. I didn't want to go w/ the GA because I wanted short scale, so I settled on the 510. When I knew I had to get another model besides the 510 I actually looked up specs and was happy to see that the Taylor GC was a more curvy, deeper Martin 000 and I really couldn't be more pleased. I've only had it a few days and it already feels like it's coming more and more alive in my hands. I can't imagine what this thing will sound like in 10-20 years!

EDIT: I got to thinking about it and went and looked up the specs on the Martin Norman Blake signature models made some time back, and I was right. Those guitars were very similar to the Taylor 12-fret GC because they combined a 14-fret style body w/ a 12-fret configuration pushing the bridge further toward the belly of the lower bout. The regular Martin 12-fret guitars are simply longer and do not change the bridge configuration like the Taylor 12-fret design (or the Martin Norman Blake design). Just random info that rolled through my mind, but I think it's interesting that my first thoughts playing this guitar was that it was a very "Norman Blake sounding" instrument.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:56:45 AM by jrowe »
3 John 2

Guitargeak99

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 10:46:41 PM »
You made a good buy.
 I played a 322 12 Fret in November and was haunted by it.
I ordered one from GC without electronics and to take advantage of their Thanksgiving 15% off coupon. It arrived last week and as we unboxed it I immediately noticed that it was a 322 14 Fret, not a 12 Fret. I must’ve looked like a little kid at Christmas who got a lump of coal.
I played the 14 Fret, and while it was a great and versatile little Guitar, it did not sound like the 12
Fretter. So I’m waiting another month for the special order 12 Fret. No cutaway or electronics.
-Taylor 322 12 Fret
-Taylor GS Mini / Spruce

letutur

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 01:44:22 PM »
I have to say that I was myself selling and saving for a 522e and I found a near mint 322e 12 fret at my local GC that they had just traded in. The discount was hefty compared to a new 522e and with their 45 days return policy pretty much risk free. I own one of the new 524e which is the most pretty guitar I ever owned but volume wise it needs some love and a lot of playing to break it up. ( Patience and love will provide the most beautiful sound one day). Anyway, while the vintage look of the 322e is appealing its sound, volume, projection and precision are absolutely stunning. The comfort of this guitar is great and it even made my 67 year old Dad, exclusively nylon guitar player at heart picking it and strumming it. I always think "if there is a fire, which of your 16 misses do you pick?" well I do have a sweet hummingbird and a 414ce-LTD close to my heart but Amber would most probably make the cut. Thats a lot to say. There is a lot of hype around 12frets...I get it now  :) If you havent tried it, dont. You'll be hooked.

jrowe

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »
I have to say that I was myself selling and saving for a 522e and I found a near mint 322e 12 fret at my local GC that they had just traded in. The discount was hefty compared to a new 522e and with their 45 days return policy pretty much risk free. I own one of the new 524e which is the most pretty guitar I ever owned but volume wise it needs some love and a lot of playing to break it up. ( Patience and love will provide the most beautiful sound one day). Anyway, while the vintage look of the 322e is appealing its sound, volume, projection and precision are absolutely stunning. The comfort of this guitar is great and it even made my 67 year old Dad, exclusively nylon guitar player at heart picking it and strumming it. I always think "if there is a fire, which of your 16 misses do you pick?" well I do have a sweet hummingbird and a 414ce-LTD close to my heart but Amber would most probably make the cut. Thats a lot to say. There is a lot of hype around 12frets...I get it now  :) If you havent tried it, dont. You'll be hooked.
Is yours the Mahogany/Blackwood combo also? I think that is one part that really makes it special. It has a certain sound that no all-mahogany guitar I've ever played has had (which includes several Martin's including my decade+ w/ a 000-15, but various other guitars I've not owned but played such as vintage Martin 17's and some vintage Guilds also).

The thing that makes Taylor 12-frets very special is that they use the 14-fret body, but join it at the 12th fret pushing the bridge further back. This is the way Martin did the Norman Blake models as he is an advocate for that bridge placement. Also while the dimensions are similar the Taylor 12-fret CG's are also a bit thicker than a Martin 000 which makes a big difference. He talks about both of these a little in this article: http://www.vintageguitar.com/2902/norman-blake/ specifically here:
Are there any instruments you still lust after?
Oh, I’m always looking for something, I guess. I’ve had so many guitars, you know, I should’ve kept a lot of them that I’ve traffic’ed and traded over the years, but nobody knew what some of this stuff was gonna be worth.

I currently don’t own a large guitar. I wouldn’t mind having a good Gibson J-35 or an old SJ. Something like that would be nice to have around, but I’m not too interested in Martin D28s and D18s. Anything with long scale doesn’t interest me too much.

Is that due to their sound, or playability?

I think you can get too much area and not enough depth no matter what size top you’re dealing in. If you haven’t got enough side depth, it hurts the sound. I think there’s a thing that matches up with the area, in other words, I think those two lines bisect the top area versus side depth. I think triple 0s are just a little too shallow. The 00 has that depth and it has the smaller soundboard, and I think you’re getting a real good, close thing. Also with the size vs. actual depth, one thing that I think is wrong with a lot of guitars, is that the bridge is in the wrong place. I think the bridges should be further down in the soundboard. Down on the table, so to speak.

You mean further toward the back of the instrument?

Yeah. They tend to put it up too much toward the waist. I think you need the bridge just a little bit further back. The widest part of the guitar is where the bridge should be. It’s one reason 12-fret neck guitars sound better, their bridges are in a better place.

So, I don't know if Norman has ever played a Taylor 12-fret GC, but I bet he'd like one (especially the Hog/Blackwood 322 12-fret).

I think this guitar is a secret weapon. I know most think of GC's as a fingerpicker, but this thing (at least my particular example) has plenty of headroom. The more I play it the better it sounds also. It's opening up quick and I can't imagine what this thing will sound like in 20 years. I believe the key to playing guitar well is finding an instrument that suits you (I play trumpet also, and it's the same with finding the right trumpet/mouthpiece combo that suits you).

I've posted some of these in another thread, but here is the 322e 12-fret in some various flatpicking styles (all recorded with a Shure MV88):
Here is a medley of East Tennessee Blues and Beaumont Rag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYVCcGYwaE0
Here is a Carter Family style arrangement of In the Sweet By and By: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMxTJkSjHk
Here is some slower/sweeter playing with In the Garden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QUJSmHfBaw
Here is a short crosspicking example with Home Sweet Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc_MkrC-gkI

I've owned a few great guitars over the years and played countless others, and this thing is really special.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:04:32 AM by jrowe »
3 John 2

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 12:30:00 PM »
While I don't have the 322, I do have the 324 Hog/Tas combo.  I agree with all of the above.  It's so much different than the all Hog 500 series.  I loved the 500 series, but when I compared it to the 300 with the Blackwood it just sounded much darker, and earthier than the all Hog version.

This guitar won't be leaving me.
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard