Author Topic: Reflection, and Hope in the Last Hours of 2017  (Read 877 times)

cotten

Reflection, and Hope in the Last Hours of 2017
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:44:34 PM »
On the final day of 2017, I received news that one of my dearest died unexpectedly this morning, of an aortic aneurism. No prior symptoms. Another friend was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer that has already spread from his kidneys to his pancreas, liver, and lymphatic system. No prior symptoms for him, either. His prognosis is grim. (I respect our rule prohibiting discussion of religion, and am purposefully, pointedly omitting it here. Thank you for following suit.)

But wait! There is more! A young woman I've known since she was 12 is about to get married. A guy and girl I introduced to each other and guitar playing at a music camp when they were the same age are now married, with two beautiful children, and are moving to a new job, full of joy and excitement, despite the unknowns. A middle age couple who are friends are expecting their first, long longed for baby!

Two friends, recently widowed, are still grieving, but are already finding ways to help and encourage people going through homelessness and/or addictions. A special needs adult friend (autism spectrum), is now living independently for the first time, with lots of love from a wide range of people, some he doesn't even know. A young father I know has spent the past two weeks home from Afghanistan, and is going back tomorrow - sacrificing now for the good of his wife and 6-month old little boy so that their tomorrow will be brighter.

Reflection: death is a part of life, and comes to each of us. Invest each gift, whether another day of life, an expression of love, an opportunity to serve, or even something physical, wisely, so that when you graduate this life, your presence here will have made a positive difference in the lives of those who remain.

Hope: yes, things are getting worse in some ways, but while there is yet life, there is yet opportunity to make things better, for one person at a time. Don't miss it!

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Cabarone

Re: Reflection, and Hope in the Last Hours of 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 02:29:32 AM »
Amen. And thanks...
'65 Gibson B45 12 String
'91 Guild F25 ce NT
'96 Martin SPD16T
'13 Taylor 455 ce

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 10:27:12 AM »
Well said, I generally follow the “be kind” philosophy.  It’s been a trying, telling year with lost friends and rifts because of beliefs and behaviors...but I too generally look on the bright side.  Cotton, I’m sorry for your loss and the other painful news.

My plans for 2018 and beyond is to play more and bark less, I’ve gotten away from my guitars because of the mandolin but I picked my 516 up a few days ago and had so much fun just strumming and noodling...I’m also signed up to build a guitar with a workshop beginning in January.  I won’t abandon my mandolin entirely and I’ll try to get here to UTGF more often, you’re a great bunch of people.

Happy New Year!

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
Amen Cotten!  Your reflection is truly words to live by.  Thank you!

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX