Author Topic: New Taylor Player  (Read 1141 times)

jrowe

New Taylor Player
« on: December 29, 2017, 02:24:20 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm Jayson from Wake Forest, NC and a student at Southeastern Seminary here.

I'm new to the Taylor community. I've been lifelong Martin player with some Gibsons thrown in, but I never gave Taylor much of a chance. Recently, I bought a 224ce-k DLX on a whim, and while that guitar ended up going back to GC (the Koa wasn't for me) it sold me on Taylor playability. I started researching the line more, and the more I learned, the more impressed I was (with the guitars, with Bob Taylor and with Andy Powers). I decided the new revoiced 510e would suit me and my playing style. I hoped it would be some sort of blend of a D18 and a J45 (my two favorite Martin and Gibsons) and it sure was! I'm in guitar heaven.
I think my next Taylor (for fingerstyle) will be a 612ce 12-fret, but I'll have to save some more pennies first  8)

Here is a short video I recorded just a short time after unboxing my 510e yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KASYD2qQlA
322e 12-fret (Mahogany/Tasmanian Blackwood)
3 John 2

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: New Taylor Player
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 02:53:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jayson!
I think the Taylor playability has lured many of us down this road.
Nice video!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:59:02 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 03:29:27 PM »
Welcome Jayson-

You really make that 510 sing! So glad you could join us....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Soof

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »
Nice pickin' Jayson !  Welcome to the Taylor Fan Club  ;D

Enjoy your new guitar and a Happy New Year to you!  ;D
Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)

cotten

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:20:02 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm Jayson from Wake Forest, NC and a student at Southeastern Seminary here... I think my next Taylor (for fingerstyle) will be a 612ce 12-fret, but I'll have to save some more pennies first ...
Hi, Jayson! Welcome to the party here on the UTGF, and to wonderful world of Taylor Guitars! Like your 510 and Wildwood Flower. When I was at SBTS in Louisville many years ago, there was no way I could afford a nice guitar. My part time church barely paid for the gas it took to go back and forth, though it was a vital part of my education. Even today, I tend to be quite frugal. A new 12-fret 612 would be a great compliment to your 510, but then so is my 1995 Cotten Special 612c (my own signature model!). It is neither 12-fret, short scale, or slot head, but then it was a LOT less money than a new one, though it was in better than new shape. Just saying, don't be afraid of getting a previously loved guitar, if you find one that suits you. We see some good deals on some here in our Classifieds, and over on the AGF, too. Glad you've joined us - Happy, Blessed New Year!

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Bmoney

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 12:01:18 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm Jayson from Wake Forest, NC and a student at Southeastern Seminary here... I think my next Taylor (for fingerstyle) will be a 612ce 12-fret, but I'll have to save some more pennies first ...
Hi, Jayson! Welcome to the party here on the UTGF, and to wonderful world of Taylor Guitars! Like your 510 and Wildwood Flower. When I was at SBTS in Louisville many years ago, there was no way I could afford a nice guitar. My part time church barely paid for the gas it took to go back and forth, though it was a vital part of my education. Even today, I tend to be quite frugal. A new 12-fret 612 would be a great compliment to your 510, but then so is my 1995 Cotten Special 612c (my own signature model!). It is neither 12-fret, short scale, or slot head, but then it was a LOT less money than a new one, though it was in better than new shape. Just saying, don't be afraid of getting a previously loved guitar, if you find one that suits you. We see some good deals on some here in our Classifieds, and over on the AGF, too. Glad you've joined us - Happy, Blessed New Year!

cotten

Hey cotten! loong time no see...happy new year!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 11:18:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum Bmoney
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.