Author Topic: New Taylor Braceing Method  (Read 10420 times)

DWM

New Taylor Braceing Method
« on: December 15, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
Seems I have some breaking news.  I dropped in to Gryphon Stringed Instruments this afternoon and was chatting with one of the sales guys.  He told me that the X-brace pattern is going to be replaced with some sort of radial bracing pattern.  It will start on the 900 and Presentation series and work it's way down to the 300.  When I said that I thought Andy Powers had done that already, he stated that Andy has been working on this on his own for the last 10 years or so and now feels that it is ready to go.  He got to play one yesterday when the Taylor rep brought a couple by.  He stated that they just got the authorization to talk about this as of yesterday.  Just when you thought you knew what was going on......

Don

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: New Taylor Braceing Method
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:41:46 PM »
interesting, they announced on a "from the factory" podcast that they have new stuff coming at NAMM 2018
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

oleif

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 12:04:42 AM »
Very cool, when is Namm?

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Metalone72

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 10:15:36 AM »
I had heard from Sweetwater that the current 914ce is discontinued. Makes sense now.

alaska1988

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »
Hope this thread is a suitable place for my bracing question and purchase dilemma.  I'm a 70 year-old (young at heart) intermediate level amateur player that came into some gift money from my beloved mother who passed away this past summer at 93 years old.  I own (for 2 years now) a Taylor 214 nylon (NO cutaway) that is really a sweet sounding guitar that is a delight to finger pick and do some easly classical work. (Anybody else find playing guitar for your wife/girlfriend can be an aphrodesiac? Sorry I digress.)  I've decided to indulge my my desire for a 12-string that delivers the deep growling lowers I love but mid-ranges and trebles that are balanced and don't sound cheesy/cheapy.  So my dilemma is this, I can afford with the inheritance (my wife said, "Do it. Your mom would approve.") the 858e. It is remarkable and would almost certainly please anybody who joys in 12-string guitaring. As you folks know, it has the Advanced Performance with Relief Route bracing. However, I had a hard time hearing an appreciable difference between the 858e and the 458e-R which is built with the Standard with Relief Route bracing. The tonewoods are identical (thickness difference on the 858e?).  The 858e is aesthetically much the better, but the performance is not that much different to my ear.  Is/should the bracing be a determining factor in what I or anybody else might hear?  The $xx difference in price could be used to buy a second Taylor!!!  Ugh. What should I do? 858e or 458e-R + a big chunk towards a 3rd Taylor. Life is tough, eh?

$, per forum rules
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:56:54 PM by TaylorGirl »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 06:59:16 PM »
I would do the 458 based on the time you intend to devote to the 12 string (quite a jump from a nylon 6 string). Bracing can make a difference, but it's all in the ear of the listener. If you like the sound of the 458, I'd say go for it. It's also worth trying the 12 string 12 fret models (with useful cutaway) that Taylor currently offers. They're quite comfortable and sound great to my ear anyway...have fun!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:34:54 PM »
I would do the 458 based on the time you intend to devote to the 12 string (quite a jump from a nylon 6 string). Bracing can make a difference, but it's all in the ear of the listener. If you like the sound of the 458, I'd say go for it. It's also worth trying the 12 string 12 fret models (with useful cutaway) that Taylor currently offers. They're quite comfortable and sound great to my ear anyway...have fun!

All of this times 2.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

AVTaylor83

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 03:39:27 PM »
Seems I have some breaking news.  I dropped in to Gryphon Stringed Instruments this afternoon and was chatting with one of the sales guys.  He told me that the X-brace pattern is going to be replaced with some sort of radial bracing pattern.  It will start on the 900 and Presentation series and work it's way down to the 300.  When I said that I thought Andy Powers had done that already, he stated that Andy has been working on this on his own for the last 10 years or so and now feels that it is ready to go.  He got to play one yesterday when the Taylor rep brought a couple by.  He stated that they just got the authorization to talk about this as of yesterday.  Just when you thought you knew what was going on......

Don
Wow..yeah that is interesting since they just spent the past 4 years rolling out the performance bracing and overhauling each series.

I have a lot of respect for Andy Powers, but I must say I'm not quite as big of a fan of the newer performance bracing...particularly on the rosewood guitars. I feel like it took away that original Taylor sparkle/richness that set the company apart and replaced it with a more dry/vintage sound. So I wonder if this new radial bracing is another step in that direction, or if it's something that brings back some of that Taylor richness with the 'fullness' they were trying to bring out with the CV bracing and Performance bracing.

I do appreciate that Taylor offers such a variety. I just hope they don't completely move everything away from the original sound that set them apart.

I'm certainly going to hang on to my cedar-rosewood GA with standard II bracing! Those have become a rarity these days.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:42:43 PM by AVTaylor83 »
2022 AD27e Flametop - maple
2016 514ce Fall Ltd - cedar/granadillo

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 05:08:26 PM »

Don

Wow..yeah that is interesting since they just spent the past 4 years rolling out the performance bracing and overhauling each series.

I have a lot of respect for Andy Powers, but I must say I'm not quite as big of a fan of the newer performance bracing...particularly on the rosewood guitars. I feel like it took away that original Taylor sparkle/richness that set the company apart and replaced it with a more dry/vintage sound. So I wonder if this new radial bracing is another step in that direction, or if it's something that brings back some of that Taylor richness with the 'fullness' they were trying to bring out with the CV bracing and Performance bracing.

I do appreciate that Taylor offers such a variety. I just hope they don't completely move everything away from the original sound that set them apart.

I'm certainly going to hang on to my cedar-rosewood GA with standard II bracing! Those have become a rarity these days.

Couldn't agree more. I had a custom cedar/rosewood GA built with standard II bracing in 2015 for that very reason. Love those old Taylor cedar/rosewood GAs!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 08:53:33 AM »

My 12-string ownership has been limited to a Guild F-512, Taylor 455 (my very first Taylor back in 2006), and my recently acquired 458. The tone and playability of the 458 are pretty amazing.  Although I love the cosmetics of the 800 series, I can't imagine that the full sound of a large Taylor 12-string guitar would allow for the appreciation of the structural differences between the 458 and 858. I didn't have the opportunity to A-B the two, but I'll say that I haven't had a nanosecond's regret about this purchase...

martingitdave

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 12:19:12 AM »
Having discussed this very issue, myself, with a dealer, your choice will be easier.  Andy Powers invented the GO shape.  He created the bracing for it the same time he did the advanced performance bracing.  I’m told the bracing is exactly the same. However, the glue and the finish will be different.  I don’t suspect those will make that much difference.  I owned and really liked the 858e.  I’m not playing a Martin 12 string because I prefer the vintage sound.  I’d own both if I had the money and space and time to play them all. 
Yes, I see the irony in my forum handle.

"Lift your head and smile at trouble." "You'll find happiness someday."

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »
Looks like the cat is out of the bag, Taylor just posted this:

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/v-class-bracing/story

And here is an article from Music Radar:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2018-taylor-flips-the-v-at-x-bracing-with-innovative-new-acoustic-design

Will have my hands on them tomorrow at NAMM.

edocon

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 04:20:23 PM »
1977 815 #253
2001 714ce Custom - cedar/cocobolo
2003 714ce LTD - spruce/cocobolo w/ ES2 system
2010 814ce Fall Ltd 12-fret
2012 GAce-FLTD
2013 Baby Taylor
2014 814ce
2014 114
2015 GS Mini e-RW

TD2

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 04:22:47 PM »
I wonder how this will impact current sales? Will those who were planning on purchasing hold off until the series they were planning on buying gets the new bracing? Will Taylor reduce pricing on the models with the old bracing?
2023 Taylor 322ce 12-fret
2014 Taylor GSMini Mahogany
2010 Takamine ES463SC
1968 Fender Villager 12-string