Author Topic: Would you buy...(914ce)  (Read 2201 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Would you buy...(914ce)
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2017, 08:59:16 AM »
Looks like bear claw figure to me as well. It's a matter of taste, but I like the occasional bear claw "beauty mark" on an otherwise bland-looking spruce top. You'll always be able to distinguish your 814 from other 814s.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 09:07:22 AM »
Looks like a natural irregularity to me.  These beauty marks add character and make your guitar stand out from the others.  I for one think it is a positive attribute to your guitar.   
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

ericjungemann

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 09:19:41 AM »
There is a fair chance that those impressions could be steamed out.  Videos on YouTube if you are interested or a guitar tech could try.
Eric Jungemann
GS Mini E Koa Plus
150e

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
A bit OT with regard to the OP, but here goes:

Hi Ssawy,

That is no blemish ...that is the wood's grain.  Call it "bear claw" or irregularity; your choice, but this is "natural imperfection" only because all wood varies.  Not any defect that I can see under close scrutiny of the grains in your pic, IMHO.  Sorry, but I disagree with your assessment that this is in any way a "defect" that merits factory attention.  This is wood, and wood quite simply varies, and not necessarily in consistent patterns that we consumers are perhaps accustomed to seeing.  One doesn't "have" to like grain. FWIW, I have turned away from guitars because I'm visually put off ...not wrong to not like a given wood's appearance. :)

I am glad that Amazon addressed your dissatisfaction.  But these variances --as well as the innumerable minute differences that are almost impossible to quantify from guitar to guitar-- are precisely why folks either buy instrument only when they can get their hands on them, or through many correspondences and detailed photos of the actual instrument before purchase.  The best vendors --of which there are many-- will do exactly this.  So while I love my Amazon Prime, I know that for some purchases, I am simply better off looking where I will be better served.

Edward
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 11:39:24 AM by Edward »

Der Geist

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 05:37:43 AM »
I think that you can do much better than 20% off.  You should ask for 30% off and some free goods.   As someone who has spent much of his life in retail I can tell you that retailers are much more likely to throw in free goods to close a deal.  If you ask for $100 worth of accessories it will cost the dealer half that or less and they will be much more willing to give you that over cash.  Remember-$100 cash off will cost the dealer $100.00.  $100 worth of accessories will only cost them $50.  As my last boss used to tell me “the worst they can say is no”.