Author Topic: Hello from St Catharines Ontario  (Read 771 times)

dp43

Hello from St Catharines Ontario
« on: December 10, 2017, 01:05:49 AM »
Hey everyone,

I've been playing guitar for about a year now, and I cut my teeth on a little fender travel acoustic. I decided I was ready for an upgrade and thought $1000 was a reasonable budget. I went to the music store thinking that I wanted a Martin, because a lot of artists that inspire me swear by them, but once I picked up a Taylor 114e I couldn't deny that you get a lot more guitar for $1000 with Taylor. So I went with the 114e and couldn't be happier. I've come to this  forum many times researching different topics surrounding Taylor and I thought I might as well join since I use the forum for information so often! I look forward to learning more and also contributing. Cheers!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Hello from St Catharines Ontario
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 06:34:45 AM »
Welcome dp

Thanks for sharing the beginning of your Taylor journey.  I'm  a big fan of the Taylor grand auditorium models, so I think you've made a great choice. Enjoy your stay!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 10:24:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum and to the Taylor family. Your gonna love your 114e. Just a friendly warning (as a lot of us here can attest to), the 114e is your first Taylor, but it won't be your last.  ;)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Duff

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 04:29:11 PM »
Welcome...newbie here too, I did the same thing, loved the 114ce but a used 314 became available for a little more than the new 114 so.....

DuFf
Never touch a candle if you don't know where it's been.
Ian Drury.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 07:15:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum dp43.  I started over again with a 110.  Your 114e will be a very nice one as well.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Soof

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:14:53 PM »
Welcome indeed !  I came to the very same conclusion that the 100 series is a lot of guitar for a very reasonable amount of money.  I'm very happy with my 110e.
Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)

dp43

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 11:40:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum and to the Taylor family. Your gonna love your 114e. Just a friendly warning (as a lot of us here can attest to), the 114e is your first Taylor, but it won't be your last.  ;)

Oh I know.. I've already begun to salivate over other models, not that I'm unsatisfied with my 114e (I'm in love) but I'm a bit of a wood nerd and I can't get over how beautiful Taylor's koa line is! I know it's only a matter of time until I take one home, maybe next Christmas  ;D

I've often wondered, seeing the list of the acoustic guitars that members of this forum own as the signature for their posts..do you try to play them all? Or do you have 1 main guitar that gets all the love. Or maybe they were all main axes at one point and you've just upgraded?

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:59:57 AM »
I've often wondered, seeing the list of the acoustic guitars that members of this forum own as the signature for their posts..do you try to play them all? Or do you have 1 main guitar that gets all the love. Or maybe they were all main axes at one point and you've just upgraded?
For me, it depends on the setting/application. I play with a bluegrass group weekly, and the 414 and 914 usually get that job. The K24ce gets used a lot for solo gigs. The 562ce is used at the Assisted Living Facility, when I play with a violinist. The 512ce is often my "close and personal" guitar. The GSM has the duty of traveling in the mtorhome and noodling around home. That said, with me, it can be all about the mood I'm in too. I'm blessed to have a very supportive husband who insisted I get the most recent 3 full-sized Taylors.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:17:39 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!