Author Topic: Humidification for Winter  (Read 3396 times)

bblooz

Humidification for Winter
« on: December 03, 2017, 10:15:24 PM »
I have several acoustic guitars, including my Every Day Player - Taylor 414CE. I am looking to see what humidification and monitoring solutions forum members have found to work best. We live in Michigan and have whole-house humidifier on the furnace, but I don't think it supplies the same amount that an acoustic guitar desires to keep from cracking. Thoughts?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Humidification for Winter
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 10:50:46 PM »
Whatever room your guitars are sitting/hanging in, that's the room you want to have a digital hygrometer mounted to the wall.  And hopefully, that room is one you can close a door to.  You are looking for a Relative Humidity of 45%-50%, but RH swings into 40% or 55% is fine, too.  No need to get super OCD about this as the range is obviously pretty wide.  The ease/difficulty will be in whether your room can be closed off such that you can maintain the RH wherever you want it.  If it's a room open to the rest of the house, now you're stuck trying to maintain the entire home.

Edward

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 08:19:30 AM »
Welcome aboard bblooz! I use mostly the (expensive) humidipaks, although you can get bulk deals and also I use the Bovida brand when cheaper. I have been known to keep them going longer by using in conjunction with Oasis humidifiers.
I am in NH and the humidifier on the heating doesn’t really come close to providing enough humidity. Edwards way of doing the whole room is great if your space works for it, but if not you are kind of stuck with the in case humidification.
Not to put down wood, I love my Taylor’s but a good carbon Fiber (Rainsong, Emerald, Blackbird etc...) can be left out all winter for quick grabbing when you don’t have a time or the desire to get your others out, fwiw
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Bmoney

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:21:10 AM »
my house is at around 36% right now...in my case (with mini hygrometer) reads 48% with no humidification...but i have made a diy humidifier with water beads and a tight sealed bottle with holes in the cap...works perfectly if needed

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »
Welcome! We live in northern MI. We use 3 EssickAir (whole home) humidifiers in the house, one on each level of the home. We put one in the music room. We have 2 digital hygrometers in the music room (even Bob Taylor recommends multiple digital  hygrometers, to ensure valid readings) and several others throughout the house. Our attitude is that our target of 45-55% relative humidity is not only necessary for the guitars and other instruments, it is so necessary for the wood structure of the home, the contents (wood furniture) and our own health. It takes attention to keep them filled, but my husband does an excellent job with that. You just get into a routine. We've been using this method for close to 30 years and have never had an issue with any instrument.

http://houseandgardentech.com/essick-air-ep9-500-whole-house-evaporative-humidifier-review/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:50:47 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Bmoney

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 09:14:56 AM »
were the whole house humidifiers expensive?

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »
Susie

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 10:17:54 AM »
We live in northern MI.

Just thought I'd mention that a lot of people who use this site live in countries other than the United States.  So when you use state abbreviations, they are often meaningless or confusing to those people.  Please take the extra two or three seconds and spell 'em out.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Gerin

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
I used both whole house humidifiers and keep all guitars in their cases with the humidipacks. The humidipack is simply the best option if your area can vary greatly, since they can both add and remove humidity.  I also have hygrometers in the house and in each case.  I figure it cannot hurt to fight the humidity issue on two fronts.  I killed my Tacoma Chieftan with the lack of proper humidity and it will never happen again.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 02:42:07 PM »
We live in northern MI.

Just thought I'd mention that a lot of people who use this site live in countries other than the United States.  So when you use state abbreviations, they are often meaningless or confusing to those people.  Please take the extra two or three seconds and spell 'em out.
Yes sir.
I was responding to the OP (original poster) who also lives in Michigan. I think they know where northern MI is. It is a very common reference that us Michiganians use.
My apologizes to anyone outside the United States of America (USA) who might not know that MI stands for the State of Michigan, USA.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:35:14 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »
The humidipack is simply the best option if your area can vary greatly, since they can both add and remove humidity.
Yes, the relative humidity does vary greatly in the State of Michigan. For us, the home approach works perfectly. Humidify in the winter, dehumidify in the summer. That said, another consideration is the number of guitars/instruments one is trying to protect. At any one point, we have 15-20 instruments (wood). Hence, our whole home approach takes care of all of them. The in-case approach is a great option too, if you have fewer instruments. One has to chose the best approach for them and their circumstances. Your method of doing both is also an effective approach.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:45:09 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 07:24:26 PM »
The word  is not 'Plastics', but 'Oasis'. Great for in-case humidification. Also great customer service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt2O4Y_sQ98

Probably work in the desert too.
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 08:24:35 AM »
Donlyn, I didn’t suggest “plastic” (CF) to replace our beloved wood instruments, but with my traveling job it has allowed me to more than double my playing time with no worry about taking care of or damaging my nice Taylor’s. Hope I didn’t offend anyone here, but it is nice sometimes to have a guitar out on a stand even in extreme humidity conditions, and some of these CF guitars sound great as well, a nice complement to my collection at least.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 09:23:37 AM »
it is nice sometimes to have a guitar out on a stand even in extreme humidity conditions, and some of these CF guitars sound great as well, a nice complement to my collection at least.
FF, I tried out some CF guitars at Elderly a few months ago. I was really impressed by them. The Rain Songs were really nice sounding guitars. You have a good point here.  ;)
Susie

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 03:30:46 PM »
From FrettingFlyer:

Donlyn, I didn’t suggest “plastic” (CF) to replace our beloved wood instruments, but with my traveling job it has allowed me to more than double my playing time with no worry about taking care of or damaging my nice Taylor’s. Hope I didn’t offend anyone here, but it is nice sometimes to have a guitar out on a stand even in extreme humidity conditions, and some of these CF guitars sound great as well, a nice complement to my collection at least.

Hey Dave,

I wasn't dissing CF guitars. Didn't even know they were plastic based. Kind of riffing on the Graduate line when the guy says "I've got one word for you, Ben. Plastics". So no, I'm not offended, nor did I mean any offense. I was in a goofy mood, and if you check that youtube link, you'll understand the last line about the desert, relative to Oasis. Hint, it's got nothing to do with humidifiers.

I applaud any move that gets people playing more.

Besides, were almost neighbors I believe, and have similar humidification issues. Mine is compounded by a poorly insulated house, so I defaulted to an in-case solution. I even humidify a non-solid wood guitar like my Epiphone on general principle,  including having a solid wood top, fretboard and neck. In fact I got that one to 'accompany' me to Ireland, but gave up on the crapshoot of taking it on an airliner across the Atlantic. So actually a CF might have been an option I should have looked into.

Don

PS> Had a carbon fiber tennis racket once upon a time. Very nice to play with. Don't know if that counts for anything.
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles: