Author Topic: Selling Guitars Unofficially  (Read 2127 times)

cotten

Selling Guitars Unofficially
« on: October 10, 2017, 06:18:54 PM »
Yesterday, I went to a guitar dealer for some new strings, and to try to find the right guitar for a friend. Of course, that means I get to audition several Taylors and perhaps even others. I'd been there for about 5 minutes when a granddad and his 30-something son came in. I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I quickly learned they were looking for a guitar for their 10-yr. old daughter/granddaughter. Neither knew much about guitars, and they were pretty lost. They picked up the least expensive guitar in the room, commenting that maybe this will do until they were sure the girl would stick with it. As a granddad myself, I certainly understood! But at that point, I spoke up. I told them that even an accomplished guitarist would have a hard time making that cheapo sound good, making it an easy way to discourage the kid from learning to play. We talked, and learned that we had some mutual friends. They started asking my advice. Long story short, I helped them select a slightly used guitar that had originally cost a lot more that el cheapo, but was offered for just a little more. The sales guy came in, and they quickly bought the much nicer guitar. (Sorry, it wasn't a Taylor, though I had recommended a GS Mini, too.) They left happy as could be!

I went back to my own auditioning, only to have another shopper come in. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say I helped her select an appropriate guitar for her son, too. I unofficially sold two guitars in a small shop in less than 20 minutes. The sales guy quipped that I deserved a bonus! Of course, when I walked out a bit later, I had paid the going rate for a 3-pack of PB Nano Elixir Lights, but still...

This ever happen to you? You ever unofficially sell a guitar in a shop where you were just another customer, not an employee?
Soli Deo Gloria

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Selling Guitars Unofficially
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »
It has happened to me  a few times - I had a ball - bet you did too!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »
Yes, it's fun and gives you a good feeling.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:35:21 AM »
Yeah, I've found myself doing it as well, mainly with Taylors.  I've also become an inadvertent tour guide at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum... :o
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

cotten

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 11:02:25 PM »
I think people who play acoustic guitar are generally some of the nicest, most helpful nuts anywhere! (Confession is good for the soul.)

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

TitanUranus

• mullarea
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 02:15:58 PM »
I have sold a few at my LGS. I always try to corner the owner and ask what my commission is.

I end up with (an already) free cup of coffee.

I don't drink coffee. :o

In all seriousness, one does what one can to set people on the right path. If the shoe was on the other foot, I know I would appreciate the advice & guidance.
I play badly, but I make up for it by being slow.

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 09:30:24 AM »
I once was browsing in Buffalo Brothers, which was a great shop in northern San Diego County with a vast selection of Taylors and other high-end guitars. I coincidentally was wearing a Hawaiian shirt that day. Another customer was looking at the wall of Taylors and asked me a question or three about the difference between models. I was able to answer his questions.

Later I realized that a Hawaiian shirt was the unofficial uniform of the employees at Buffalo Brothers.

I don't know whether the interaction led to a sale, but I'd like to think I at least steered the guy in the right direction!  :o
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

letutur

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:34:57 AM »
Same here, my local GC sucks but is close by so once in a while I go in their acoustic room and you always see these youngsters looking around and wandering. I always direct them to a GS mini and give them the reverb hint if new price is too high for their budget. When moving to the US I could not afford to bring my acoustic and was sold an atals breedlove with an action higher than the golden gate bridge. FOr 2 months I thought i sucked ( I was a self taught player with no entourage at that point) and finally after getting my first lesson the teacher made me send my guitar to a tech. Bottom line the dude selling me that Breedlove ( decent beginner guitar actually) should have told me to get it set up right away. But like everywhere there are good sellers honest etc and ones who dont care and just want to make a buck.

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 11:44:50 AM »
Funny..the first Taylor I held and played was the first one I purchased...a 2009 110e.

It came at the recommendation of another guy checking out acoustics in the local Sam Ash, not the salesperson.
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX