Author Topic: Hello from the ...Garden State  (Read 2612 times)

Knuckle47

Hello from the ...Garden State
« on: September 27, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »
Yep... New Jersey.. knocks me out that they still call it the Garden State considering there is more asphalt now than ever.

I've been a guitar player for over 50 years and come from a family of notable players so it was a given that once I could hold a guitar, they made me play it.  I have played in bands both electric and acoustic and have owned some remarkable vintage instruments long before they were vintage.

A few days ago, I came back from a Taylor Roadshow with a T5z Cocobolo.  I am so impressed with the way this guitar plays and sounds it will easily become my 1st choice when I grab a guitar off the wall.

43 years ago I played with a folk player with a Martin D35 that I will never forget.  The bass E and A strings would send out a percussive boom that got your attention and I have been so close to buying another Martin to get that sound.  To my amazing surprise, the Taylor KOA beats it.  Safe to say I had a great time at the roadshow and after staying away from new guitars for the last 10 years, I will make up for it with these two. 

Very nice to be here
Taylor T5z Cocobolo
Gretsch 6136 White Falcon1965
Gretsch 6118
Gretsch Country Club
Gretsch Brian Setzer
Gibson Les Paul Recording 1971
Gibson J200
Line 6 Acoustic 700
Godin concert nylon synth
Brian Moore iGuitar
Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor ll
1970 Les Paul custom
Fender Tele b-bender
Fender Strat

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Hello from the ...Garden State
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:52:05 PM »
Welcome, knuckle! What Taylor koa guitar did you get?
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
Welcome knuckle-

What a great start for your Taylor collection.

Enjoy your stay!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Knuckle47

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 10:27:12 PM »
When I asked about the model Mike told me it was a custom.  My belief is that it's a grand symphony, koa top back and sides, armrest, koa/boxwood inlay on fingerboard, headstock and bridge,maple fretboard bindings and body bindings, florentine cutaway, edgeburst, gold tuners,bone nut and saddle, gloss poly finish both neck and body and short scale 14 fret.

Since I am new to the Taylor coding system, I just have no idea. But they do say 65 days or so. Cheap too ;(
Taylor T5z Cocobolo
Gretsch 6118
Gretsch Country Club
Gretsch Brian Setzer
Gibson J200
Line 6 Acoustic 700
Brian Moore iGuitar
1970 Les Paul custom
Fender Tele b-bender
Fender Strat

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:14:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum Knuckle.  T5z Coco must be a beautiful guitar, and everybody loves the Koa.  We also love seeing pictures of everyone's new guitars.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 09:24:31 AM »
When I asked about the model Mike told me it was a custom.  My belief is that it's a grand symphony, koa top back and sides, armrest, koa/boxwood inlay on fingerboard, headstock and bridge,maple fretboard bindings and body bindings, florentine cutaway, edgeburst, gold tuners,bone nut and saddle, gloss poly finish both neck and body and short scale 14 fret.

Since I am new to the Taylor coding system, I just have no idea. But they do say 65 days or so. Cheap too ;(
Sounds beautiful (I love koa guitars). Like MGap said, we love seeing pictures of new guitars.  :o
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Knuckle47

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 09:12:20 PM »
Well thank you all.  Nice to be here in a place where "read the ......manual " isn't a common reply. I will happily show a picture of my guitar.  As I am on the downhill side of my learning skills, knowing how to do it may take a bit of time but, I'll get it.

The koa is something I am really looking forward to.  They say about 2 months.  Since you all probably know the process, I can say there are many many options when ordering a custom.  In fact I had to go back and make a few changes. I have NEVER paid this kind of money so getting it right takes a little more than listening to the options.  You've really got to see them. This one will have that arm rest. I really like that one

One of my pastimes as time permits is building acoustic guitars and mandolins.  That gave me familiarity at least with woods and inlays but if I screw it up in my garage, I'm ok with it as it isn't costing me much more than a few supplies and a little time.
Taylor T5z Cocobolo
Gretsch 6118
Gretsch Country Club
Gretsch Brian Setzer
Gibson J200
Line 6 Acoustic 700
Brian Moore iGuitar
1970 Les Paul custom
Fender Tele b-bender
Fender Strat

Soof

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »
Yep... New Jersey.. knocks me out that they still call it the Garden State considering there is more asphalt now than ever.

So true Knuckle!  There's still a few farms left in Farmingdale, (central NJ).!

Welcome from a fellow Jersey boy!

Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)

Knuckle47

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 09:27:37 AM »
Hey Soof,

Freehold!  Since 1976

Actually decided that the horses and potato farms were ideal for our kind of lifestyle. It lasted about 6-7 yrs and then ( as my wife is from the extreme northern Vermont dairy farms) WHAT PERSON BUSTING THEIR BUTT, milking cows, planting, tilling acres and acres , watering, fertilizing, sweating, freezing, training horses, vet bills .....you get the idea, would not sell his 100 acres or so when these developers waved a million dollars under their noses to sell and move to a different life.

It makes for a dream scene

Now we live the the nightmare of inadequate roads, over population, MALLS, taxes, traffic, attitudes, and my personal favorite..... F you, me first.

Gee, now look what you've made me do.  In less than ten posts, people think I'm a nut 🥜!

Hahaha, someday maybe ....but right now I kinda believe I'm the stable voice of reason.  Dang, I actually USE my directional signals while driving and don't text 😎
Taylor T5z Cocobolo
Gretsch 6118
Gretsch Country Club
Gretsch Brian Setzer
Gibson J200
Line 6 Acoustic 700
Brian Moore iGuitar
1970 Les Paul custom
Fender Tele b-bender
Fender Strat

cotten

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 12:27:18 PM »
Of course you're a nut! You play guitar, AND you hang out online with other nuts who do. Welcome to the tree!  ;)

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Soof

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 12:22:50 AM »
Great reply Knuckle !   The plots of land being turned into seas of townhouses in our area is amazing.

I drive the back roads of Farmingdale and Howel to get my kicks driving my Honda S2000 and it seems every other week a new plot of land opens to the bulldozer !

Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum from GSP exit 168, where most of our down home farm produce comes from upstate NY.  Lately our garden prototypes come from Madison Square, where your T5z would be right at home.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Knuckle47

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 08:45:32 PM »
Ha,  you guys are funny.  Actually, I have been working at exit 161 for the last 26 years.  While I take the turnpike these days, by the time I get to work... I am a lunatic, and wildly frustrated.  That 64 mile ride routinely takes 2 hours. Then I get to go home through Sayreville and down route 9 just to about 195 until I head west 4-5 miles. Another hour and a half ...plus.

Thank goodness I am doing this now only two days a week.  My 2001 F-150 had 296,000 miles on it when I finally gave it up and bought another vehicle in September last year.  That thing is near 35,000 miles in a year.

I would really love to sit and practice more.  The mental gymnastics exhausts me enough that I sit here with the iPad and listen to others play.  There are some very good guitar people out in the world.
Another thing I am sure you guys all know about is .... back in 1975 it was really easy to play, party, eat and sleep.  First came love, then came marriage then came my wife with a few baby carriages...the house, the mortgage, the other bills.  I think they called it responsibility.  I'm still not sure that I have that down properly....after all, I'm here with a new guitar and I'm ordering another!
Taylor T5z Cocobolo
Gretsch 6118
Gretsch Country Club
Gretsch Brian Setzer
Gibson J200
Line 6 Acoustic 700
Brian Moore iGuitar
1970 Les Paul custom
Fender Tele b-bender
Fender Strat

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 08:56:33 AM »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
Ha!   Good one donlyn.  The song even refers to Knuckles broken down pick up truck.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.