Author Topic: So Easy...I Did It Twice  (Read 3784 times)

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
Re: So Easy...I Did It Twice
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
Strings have a shelf life, depending largely on the env't that they're in.  They are metal encased in a coating, but we all know what humidity or salt air can do to metal.  Granted, we're talking a considerable amount of time here, and under less-than-perfect conditions, so in no way am I suggesting they'll go bad like a gallon of milk left on the counter in summer ;)  While I have never gotten a bad set of Elixirs, I had gotten one bad "G" in a set once ...dead as a doornail from the start.  I emailed them and they were kind enough to send me two replacement Gs.  Good folks at Elixir!

This is one reason why D'Addario et.al. have gone to plastic wrapping their sets: less packaging, sure, but also sealed to env't exposure.  Perhaps Elixir will go that way one day.  Or simply buy strings as you need them.

FWIW, I now keep only one set as a spare (used to keep 2-3), and that one set is relegated to the guitar case and never "rotated in" for use ...so my spare strings (elec and acoustic) are old! ...only good for a string breakage or whatever emergency.  Whenever I restring, I have come to now only use a reasonably fresh set.  I have no idea if this had made a difference or not, but heck, it's easy enough to do so has become my new habit of late.  And yes, I suppose I could try and rotate in my guitar-case backup set so as to keep it all fresh, but that would actually require my remembering something else ;)

Edward

Good point about shelf life.  Even though I've not encountered issues previously, doesn't mean manufacturing and alloys have changed.

I'll order the replacements in a couple months...thanks for the advice Edward!
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: So Easy...I Did It Twice
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
Yeah, wrt shelf life, who knows for certain ...I was just postulating.  But that's my story and I'm stickin to it :)

FWIW, I've ordered strings from Stringsandbeyond for many years now.  Competitive pricing, really great folks there, and at least a few times a year offer free shipping with any order (where normally it's free shipping only with orders > $35).  I've not bought strings elsewhere in over a decade :)

Edward