Author Topic: Long-term guitar storage (maybe years)  (Read 3321 times)

madx2

Long-term guitar storage (maybe years)
« on: March 16, 2017, 02:22:29 AM »
Should the strings be slacked off or kept with tension?  A friend asked me and I didn't want to give her bad advice.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Long-term guitar storage (maybe years)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:46:08 AM »
You want to maintain some tension, but I would slacken a bit if it's going to be stored for years. Humidity control will also be critical.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

madx2

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:45:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I will tell her Sunday. 

Anyone have a differing opinion?

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:30:38 PM »
I would worry about the humidity as well  :-\
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 12:26:05 AM »
Why are they storing their guitar for years? Are they joining the Peace Corps., the army, going to prison?

madx2

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:05:07 AM »
Worse than all of those.  Her husband (a picking buddy) passed away unexpectedly last summer.  He had 7 guitars.  I sold him my old 310 about 2 months before his death.  She sold it to another picking buddy last week. 

They had no children and she doesn't play....yet.

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 10:52:58 PM »
Worse than all of those.  Her husband (a picking buddy) passed away unexpectedly last summer.  He had 7 guitars.  I sold him my old 310 about 2 months before his death.  She sold it to another picking buddy last week. 

This makes me sad. My condolences

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 05:22:45 AM »

So sorry for her. Wishing her strength during this difficult time.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

madx2

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 07:41:37 AM »
Thanks. She is a sweet person with many friends helping her through.

I think she will ultimately sell all but one of the guitars.  She has her dad's 1938  OOO-18 Martin that he played when in a band.  It has buckle scratches on the back and she says everyone wanted to play it because it sounded so good.  I'm sure that will be a keeper.

Dakell

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 09:14:57 AM »
Maybe someone can educate me on this. I've always thought guitars needed to be played to make them continue to open up over the years? I'm concerned about this because of a friend's guitar collection he left to his brother after passing away from cancer. His brother told me he might store them for years until they increase in value. He's in humid Houston, TX and as someone pointed out to me in another post this should be a concern. The brother who inherited them doesn't play and I'm too far away to go there and play them. Am I right about them being played?

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 02:57:41 PM »
Maybe someone can educate me on this. I've always thought guitars needed to be played to make them continue to open up over the years? I'm concerned about this because of a friend's guitar collection he left to his brother after passing away from cancer. His brother told me he might store them for years until they increase in value. He's in humid Houston, TX and as someone pointed out to me in another post this should be a concern. The brother who inherited them doesn't play and I'm too far away to go there and play them. Am I right about them being played?

I don't know that there's any definitive answer on the topic of whether playing (or in this case, not playing) a guitar is of any particular benefit (or detriment) to it's well-being or tone.  My personal take on the topic is that [regularly] playing a guitar helps the wood, glue joints, etc.  to 'adjust' more quickly from it's old life as wood/glue to its new life as part of a guitar.  Over time, that would happen anyway; so the resulting vibrations when playing, I think, just helps to accelerate that process.  Some have even suggested that the effects are merely temporary; if so, playing a guitar that's sat for a while will bring it back to life, so to speak.  Frankly, I see this effect with my guitars, which often sit for a couple of months or so between playing sessions:  they sometimes sound a bit dull at first, then at some point during that particular playing session suddenly "wake up" and sound great again.

I think the main contributor of what is generically referred to as the 'opening up' process is simply age.  The wood begins to crystalize and becomes something a little different than the wood that was originally used to make the guitar.  No amount of playing will really affect that; it's just going to be time and luck-of-the-draw with how the wood ages, environmental conditions all being the same.  Which brings me to the next point...

An answer more-or-less relayed straight from the horse's mouth (i.e., Taylor Customer Service) on the topic of storage environment:  humidity control is the single greatest consideration when storing a [Taylor] guitar.  Not sure if that's just 'party line' from Taylor, but that's the essence of what I was told today by their CS representative.  This position is, again, somewhat supported by my own empirical experience with Willcutt Guitars.  Willcutt's has an enormous guitar inventory; they've got some NOS Taylors that are approaching 10-11 years old in their stock (properly stored, of course).  And they sound just fine whenever they pull one of them out of storage for me to play.

But the reason I was on the phone today with Taylor is because the HVAC inside my house in Central Texas has decided to go on strike -- if not give up the ghost for good; and since Mr. Murphy is a sadist, he's seen to it that the A/C went down for the count just about the same time that high temperatures in Texas are starting to push the century mark...  So I was asking Taylor CS what environmental conditions (both humidity and temperature) signaled the need for an emergency evacuation of my guitars to my neighbor's house -- and it sounds like I'll be OK until I can get an HVAC contractor in there next week -- as long as we keep the humidity from climbing too high inside the house (I'm guessing north of 75%).

It seems like higher humidity is more damaging than higher temperatures; if humidity is kept in the Taylor target zone (45-55%), the guitar can tolerate much higher temperatures than they will likely see inside my house, even without A/C.  But if humidity becomes excessively high as well, not only can the woods warp from the moisture, but the glues can start to lose adhesion due to the combination of heat and humidity.  Fortunately, I'm not in Houston -- where humidity during the summer is never in short supply...

A lot of rambling to get to this particular point:  it's challenging enough for me, while my job is keeping me on the road, to keep a tight rein on the environmental conditions in which my guitars are stored.  In the winter, the heating system (all-electric) dried the air out terribly, so humidity control was much more challenging during that time of the year.  Your buddy's brother will be contending more with what I'm facing at the moment (heat and high humidity).  So if he isn't going to closely monitor and care for the guitars while they're in long-term storage, he's probably doing them greater harm than he would by not playing them.

Given that his stated intent is to keep the guitars solely to speculate on their future value, it doesn't sound to me like he's going to put much (if any) real effort into the proper care of them -- which ironically, will hurt the value in the long run if they become damaged due to poor storage or maintenance practices.  In my opinion, if his deceased brother's guitars aren't something he wants to keep for himself -- either for sentimental or practical reasons (like learning how to play) -- he should just sell them now and be done with it.  You mentioned that he inherited the guitars -- which means he's [personally] got zero dollars invested in them at the moment.  Proper care and feeding of them will require a monetary investment on his part (at a minimum, humidity control packs; possibly a climate-controlled storage locker; etc.).  You've already given him good research on their current market value, so anything he makes by selling them right now is pure profit...  Seems like his proper move is a no brainer to me...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Knuckle47

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 10:53:40 PM »
Since I have recently planned a build for a KOA Taylor, it was mentioned several times during the presentation that the more the guitar is played, the better the sound will be

I have no data to back this statement up.
Taylor T5z Cocobolo
Gretsch 6136 White Falcon1965
Gretsch 6118
Gretsch Country Club
Gretsch Brian Setzer
Gibson Les Paul Recording 1971
Gibson J200
Line 6 Acoustic 700
Godin concert nylon synth
Brian Moore iGuitar
Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor ll
1970 Les Paul custom