Author Topic: Does anyone play recorder?  (Read 3377 times)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Does anyone play recorder?
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:09:46 PM »
I want to get back into playing the alto recorder and am curious who else plays. It can be any type of recorder. Currently I have several of the Yamaha 300 series altos along with an Aulos 709bw alto. Plus I have a Yamaha tenor, soprano, and sopranino. What do you own, and do you play in any ensembles?
Cindy

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Does anyone play recorder?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:30:05 PM »
I had a pearwood alto and soprano for awhile, then I bought a Yamaha tenor. I was really wanting to get back into a wind instrument after playing flute and saxophone throughout school. I even got into tin whistle. I don't know why, but it just wasn't keeping my attention, so I sold the recorders. Now, I think I've found what has clicked with me.....the Native American Flutes. I think it helps that dulcimer players tend to get into NAF's at festivals. I don't live in a large enough town to have been a part of a recorder group, or a flute circle for that matter. But, that would be fun, because I enjoy the group activities at the dulcimer festivals.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 03:32:39 PM »
And NAFAS is as bad as GAS. I thought I could settle on 2 or 3 and be happy. I have 5 and the 6th one is going to be ordered soon.  ::)  ;)  ;D
Susie

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:25:55 PM »
I used to have four or five and played them in an alt music band - but that was ages ago. I still love the sound of the recorder.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »
I had a pearwood alto and soprano for awhile, then I bought a Yamaha tenor. I was really wanting to get back into a wind instrument after playing flute and saxophone throughout school. I even got into tin whistle. I don't know why, but it just wasn't keeping my attention, so I sold the recorders. Now, I think I've found what has clicked with me.....the Native American Flutes. I think it helps that dulcimer players tend to get into NAF's at festivals. I don't live in a large enough town to have been a part of a recorder group, or a flute circle for that matter. But, that would be fun, because I enjoy the group activities at the dulcimer festivals.

I too played flute throughout school and also started on the piccolo in 9th grade. I've never tried a Native American Flute although I've been seeing more and more references about them. Last year I took a beginner Tai Chi class from an instructor who was very much into NAF's so I know who to ask if I ever decide to give one a try.
Cindy

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »
I used to have four or five and played them in an alt music band - but that was ages ago. I still love the sound of the recorder.

That must have been an awesome experience! I know there are local chapters of recorder groups, but I'm not at the point to look into it yet. I imagine it would be a lot of fun to get a small group together and play though.
Cindy

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 04:55:15 PM »

I too played flute throughout school and also started on the piccolo in 9th grade. I've never tried a Native American Flute although I've been seeing more and more references about them. Last year I took a beginner Tai Chi class from an instructor who was very much into NAF's so I know who to ask if I ever decide to give one a try.
Hey, another connection.....my sister teaches Tai Chi.  :D
Susie

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 04:59:45 PM »
Hey, another connection.....my sister teaches Tai Chi.  :D

Lol! I'm sure she would be a better teacher than he was. As much as I liked him personally, I couldn't remember the moves by the time I got home! :o He also teaches an intermediate class, but if I want to continue with it, I think I will watch some YouTube videos. There are different styles of Tai Chi--he did tell us about an instructional book so I have that to fall back on, too.
Cindy

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »
Yes, she does well with it. She even teaches seniors.
Sorry about the off topic comments.
Wait...she has recorders....there, back on topic.  :)
Susie

cotten

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 08:19:18 PM »
I want to get back into playing the alto recorder and am curious who else plays. It can be any type of recorder. Currently I have several of the Yamaha 300 series altos along with an Aulos 709bw alto. Plus I have a Yamaha tenor, soprano, and sopranino. What do you own, and do you play in any ensembles?
Hi Cindy! I've played recorder since I first saw and heard one, an alto, in Jackson Square, New Orleans, back in the Hippi days. I was still in high school, and had learned to play guitar enough to earn some money. Some far out, free love couple were there, him on classical guitar and her on the alto, playing what I now know was Renaissance music. I was captivated! Went around the corner on Canal and bought a pear wood Schreiber and taught myself to play. Added it's sounds to my folk/rock trio.

Got to play it with my college orchestra once. (I normally played string bass.) In seminary, I branched out a bit with various plastic recorders, mainly Yamahas and Aulos, and was introduced to a wide variety of music and ensemble playing. In my first full time music ministry position, I developed a recorder choir. We had as many as 18 players, using sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor, and bass recorders. (I still have at least one of each.) We played everything from Renaissance music to Dixieland jazz, to Dave Brubeck, to standard hymns right out of the hymnal, to "Little Brown Church in the Wildwood." No, don't think we ever got to perform that one. When we got to the chorus, "Oh, come, come, come, come..." it sounded just like a steam calliope, and one simply cannot play recorder while giggling!

Today, I still have my old bass recorder (Ideal? with a bocal), but had gradually gathered sopranino, soprano, alto, and tenor Moeck recorders in maple. I've kept them in their individual cases until last week. Several times, I found myself without the one that I really wanted to play, so I bought a Yamaha 300 Series YACYRDC Recorder Case. My Moecks fit perfectly! It's a bit bigger than I'd hoped, but will do a good job of protecting them when I carry them around.

I seldom get to play recorder with other players now, mainly just at a summer youth music camp that I help lead, but play mine often, in church and elsewhere. Trying to learn some of the traditional tin whistle ornamentation to add a new dimension to what I've been doing. Okay, enough about me. Tell me more about yourself and your recorder playing!

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »
Okay, enough about me. Tell me more about yourself and your recorder playing!

cotten

Hi cotten! Long time no see!

My first was a gift of an inexpensive wooden soprano recorder when I was a kid. The fingerings are similar to flute which made it easier to learn. As an adult, my pastor played a Yamaha plastic alto recorder that she purchased at her Seminary bookstore. I was intrigued so bought my own. The tonal range of the alto is much more pleasing to me especially in the higher register. So now I have several of the Yamaha 300 series altos, one soprano, one sopranino, and one tenor. The tenor is more difficult to play because I have forearm tendonitis, and the big stretch of the fingers makes it uncomfortable.

Many years ago a woman at my church had a stroke and lost her ability to read music. She used to play in the handbell choir, sing in the senior choir, and had her own organ at home. She wound up giving her organ to a relative and dropped out of the handbell choir and senior choir. She desperately wanted to continue playing in the handbell choir, but she made many mistakes. For whatever reason, the director never said anything to her about it, but some of the players got tired of her frequent mistakes and embarrassed her by telling her she should drop out.

She became very bitter and left the church. Twice I ran into her while shopping, and both times she told me what happened. She was their best player, too. So after lots of thought, I called her and asked if she would like to try learning to read music, but this time we'd use an alto recorder. She knew there wouldn't be any guarantees though.

It was VERY slow going initially. Most people would have dropped out. But not her. She was so motivated that she stuck with it. Eventually she picked up steam and began learning at a faster rate. I bought her a pair of drumsticks because she was getting into more complex rhythms (syncopated, etc) so it was easier for her to learn the rhythms before playing them on the recorder.

After several months, she expressed interest in playing a keyboard so she borrowed one from a relative. We added piano lessons. :) She was soo happy. She even rejoined the handbell choir although not playing at the level she used to. Eventually she left the handbell choir by her own choice--but not before correcting the director when he tried teaching an incorrect rhythm. ;) Gotta love her! She is now with Jesus, but I am so glad to have been a part of getting her back into music.

I haven't played mine in years, but I hope to get back into it soon. Take care, cotten. ;D
Cindy

cotten

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »
Hi Cindy, what a great story. I would have enjoyed knowing that lady! Strokes affect each person differently, and it's always good to hear when someone overcomes the effects, especially through hard work and encouragement from a friend. Not surprised that you'd be that kind of friend. Sorry to hear about the unkind remarks made by her handbell buddies. I do understand the desire to play our very best, but it's all too easy to forget why.

I retired last year from full time music ministry, and am now working part time in another church. I've revived a handbell program that had been dormant for a dozen years or so. Some in the group had played a long time ago, but others had never touched a handbell. As we began last Fall, one of the first things I had them do was to play a simple chordal accompaniment to "Before the Throne of God Above," while I played the melody on my Moeck alto recorder. They were thrilled at how easy it was to make beautiful music with bells. I told them yes, all you have to do is ring the right bell at the right time in the right way. Simple! They've come a long way since then, and I'm very proud of them.

A while back, using my Boomerang III looper, I did a guitar and recorder duet with myself for an Offertory. People thought it was magic, and I had to agree with 'em! Since then, I've had several people tell me they once played recorder, and two students have brought theirs to show me. If I had more time at the church, I might enjoy putting together another recorder ensemble, but that's not likely to happen. I'm already working far more than our original 15 hours a week agreement. I love it, but see so much more than could be done.

Get out your recorders again, and warm up your chops. Let's find a way to share our love for this instrument, too! Here's a nice little ditty we could start with:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgXMNklki04

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 05:26:53 PM »
Here's a nice little ditty we could start with:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgXMNklki04

cotten

Lol! That was hysterical albeit very well performed!

Going back to handbells...I wasn't a member of this church when the pastor started there. She implemented the handbell choir and ran it for a couple of decades before finding someone else to take it over (time constraints of a pastor). ;)

Many people couldn't even read music, but that wasn't a deterrent. She marked each measure with 1&2&3&4& then assigned two bells per song for each non music reading person. The notes were color coded (circled with colored markers) so all anyone had to do was to count and ring the bell on the appropriate count. Eventually more and more music readers joined, plus some of the non music reading people learned to read.

So now most people handle up to 4 bells per song. The one lady I mentioned earlier handled all the higher bells and could hold at least 2 in each hand at the same time. She must have covered about an octave of notes!

The choir eventually dwindled, and I believe they stopped as of this past Christmas because there weren't enough players. I've thought about starting an alto recorder ensemble geared towards non music readers although anyone would certainly be welcome. We'd start with duets then move to 3 or more parts for harmonies. The problem is I'm a full-time caregiver for my mother, and I can't do it right now with all her issues. But most likely it's something I will do when this situation here changes.

Take care, cotten. I've missed interacting with you. :)
Cindy

cotten

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
This Sunday, to end this "semester" of ringing, our fledgling handbell choir will play a rather simplified arrangement of Beethoven's Adagio Cantabile movement of Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13, No. 8. That's the part that begins at 9:46 in this performance.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrcOcKYQX3c This movement was used as the theme music for radio's most widely listened-to classical music program, Adventures in Good Music, which aired nationally in the United States and in many other countries from 1970 to 2007. The theme was performed by Karl Haas, the program's host. Billy Joel used the cantabile as the melody for the chorus of his 1984 song "This Night" from the album An Innocent Man. (We'll also play "The Heavens Are Declaring" and "Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee.)

Because my group has yet to develop the ability to bring out the melody consistently, it get's a bit lost among all the other bells ringing along. I've decided to counter that by doubling the melody on my Moeck Tenor recorder. I could use my Alto, but it would be playing in its lowest register. The Tenor, being a half-octave higher in its range, projects better and has a bigger, richer tone. For fun, I tried it on Soprano, and though it could easily be heard, it didn't blend well with the tone of the bells on this piece. So then I tried the Sopranino. Didn't get far - it sounded like a stray piccolo had wandered in off the street!

Later in that same service, I'll play "There Is a Name I Love to Hear" on guitar. Haven't decided which I'll use though. Leaning toward my McKnight, but the 2000 914 (Cindy!) and my Takamine classical are still possibilities at this point. Should be a fun day!

cotten

(I've always enjoyed talking with you, too!)

Soli Deo Gloria

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 11:49:37 AM »
I love that part of Beethoven's sonata. No doubt you and your choir will do an awesome job with it. Tenor recorders have such a wonderful timbre so it should sound beautiful. I know what you mean about the sopranino sounding like a lost piccolo! Have fun with your last performance of the season. :)
Cindy