Author Topic: Belated NUGD -- 1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop  (Read 3022 times)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Belated NUGD -- 1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop
« on: February 19, 2017, 10:05:14 AM »
Per Edward's request, I'll share some photos of this guitar that I picked up a few years back.  It's an all-original 1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop.  It's in very good to excellent condition; only a few nicks and finish imperfections.  And it plays very well.

Just like Jeff Lynne did, one can't properly play "Do Ya" without having a 1970's Goldtop... ;)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Belated NUGD -- 1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »
Verrrry cool, Tim ...truly a nice find there!  Nice figuring on that 1-pc back ...not to mention condition, yikes ...prev owner keep it in a closet for decades or what!  Enjoy that beaute in great health and smiles, sir!  It's a great feeling to have a nice vintage guit without it being crazy "vintage popularity" (and sometimes worry).  I just wanna play em and not stress over their value/condition! You scored, friend!

That yours has the orig mini hums is just fabulous!  Some time ago I was amidst a deal on a ca.70s Deluxe (yeah, mini hums!), but alas, it wasn't meant to be.  All of which was fine because is led me to stumble onto my R4, so all's well that ends well, very well!  Can't think of a Jeff Lynne lyric but you just took me back to Rock Aria and Do Ya ...hahaha! :)

Edward
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:16:47 AM by Edward »

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »
Verrrry cool, Tim ...truly a nice find there!  Enjoy that beaute in great health and smiles, sir!  It's a great feeling to have a nice vintage guit without it being crazy "vintage" cost and stress.  I just wanna play em!

That yours has the orig mini hums is just fabulous!  Some time ago I was amidst a deal on a ca.70s Deluxe (yeah, mini hums!), but alas, it wasn't meant to be.  All of which was fine because is lead me to stumble onto my R4, so all's well that ends well, very well!  Can't think of a Jeff Lynne lyric but you just took me back to Rock Aria and Do Ya ...hahaha! :)

Thanks, Edward!  It was definitely a fortuitous find, particularly having the original pick-ups in it.  Not quite the P90's Jeff Lynne had in his '72 Goldtop, but it works well nonetheless...!

And yeah, "Rockaria!" comes across pretty well on it too, even with my hamfisted technique of strumming the chords rather than truly playing the lead guitar riff.  As well as "Ma-Ma-Ma Belle..."  And "Don't Bring Me Down..." 8)

You know:  I really should learn other electric guitar songs rather than just ones by ELO... ;)
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 09:38:44 PM »
 :o wow!!!! Congrats!!!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 12:22:50 AM »
nice!!! add it to the the how many ngd we had in 2017 thread! wish i knew more about electrics.

my parents bought me a 96 gibson les paul ii, pretty affordable usa made les paul, i never play it anymore
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 06:49:09 AM »
Congrats Tim. I know nothing about electrics, but it sure has that vintage, classic look. Nice!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 08:05:38 AM »
Congratulations Tim.  That is a pretty special LP.  Being acoustic players that we all are here, I am always struck by the weight of LPs. I can tell a big difference between my 514ce and My 814ce Fltd(cocobolo).  If I strap on a LP(former owner) it always feels like a boat anchor.  I can not overstate how good the tone of LPs are, but they outweigh my Strat, Tele, Mustang by far. 

He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 09:10:28 AM »
:o wow!!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks!

nice!!! add it to the the how many ngd we had in 2017 thread! wish i knew more about electrics.

my parents bought me a 96 gibson les paul ii, pretty affordable usa made les paul, i never play it anymore

Actually, I'd have to go back a few years to find the thread from probably 2013 or 2014 (don't recall exactly which year at the moment); in fact, I may have already posted it in the appropriate one -- I can't remember now...  But I never posted a specific "NUGD" thread until now since I figured it would be of limited interest.  But when the topic came up by chance, Edward encouraged me to share some photos of it.

Congrats Tim. I know nothing about electrics, but it sure has that vintage, classic look. Nice!

Thanks, Susie!  I know just enough about electric guitars to display my ignorance. ;)  As I've read others stating on this forum, electric guitars fit more into a sound system, if you will:  the guitar, the amplifier, whatever effects pedals you toss in, etc.  I've learned that I've got a lot to learn where electric guitars are concerned...

Seemingly like many of the guitars I own, this one just sort-of found me...  I'd mentioned in passing to my brother that I'd like to find a Gibson Les Paul Goldtop -- like the one used by Jeff Lynne during ELO's heyday -- just because, I guess...  Next thing I know my brother is calling me on the phone from Pittsburgh, telling me Empire Music just got in an all-original vintage Les Paul Goldtop on trade.  I wish my luck would run that way with some of the other aspects of life...! :o

Congratulations Tim.  That is a pretty special LP.  Being acoustic players that we all are here, I am always struck by the weight of LPs. I can tell a big difference between my 514ce and My 814ce Fltd(cocobolo).  If I strap on a LP(former owner) it always feels like a boat anchor.  I can not overstate how good the tone of LPs are, but they outweigh my Strat, Tele, Mustang by far.

Yeah, I know exactly what you're saying!  In terms of comfort, I often compare a Les Paul to a cinderblock with a guitar neck on it. :)  But they do sound great...!

I remain primarily an acoustic guitar player --and probably always will be.  But since acquiring the Les Paul, I've tried to broaden my horizons, and have sampled some of the other offerings in the electric guitar market as well:  Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, and Rickenbacker 360.  I've found the Telecaster has a similar tonal quality to the Les Paul, and picked up one of last year's Artisan Telecasters in Claro Walnut.  I would have to say those two (the Les Paul and the Telecaster) remain my favorite electrics to play in terms of the sound I get out of them.  I like the feel and aesthetic styling of the Stratocaster the best, but their tone tends to be a bit 'thinner' to my ears compared to the Les Paul and Telecaster.  Still, I also picked up the fraternal twin to my Telecaster -- an Artisan Stratocaster in Claro Walnut -- to round out my electric guitar collection.  I didn't much care for the Rickenbacker, though.  But I figure if one has the "Big Three" (a Les Paul, a Telecaster, and a Stratocaster), probably about 90% of the electric guitar bases are covered...

Now I just need to learn some more electric guitar songs -- whenever I can find a few open Sundays to sit down with one of these electrics and work through it...!  Kind-of tough at the moment... :-\

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 06:24:40 PM »
Timfitz63 quote: Now I just need to learn some more electric guitar songs -- whenever I can find a few open Sundays to sit down with one of these electrics and work through it...!  Kind-of tough at the moment... :-\
Modify message

The Doobie Brothers sound real nice with those P90s
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »
... Now I just need to learn some more electric guitar songs -- whenever I can find a few open Sundays to sit down with one of these electrics and work through it...!  Kind-of tough at the moment... :-\

The Doobie Brothers sound real nice with those P90s

Duly noted!  I definitely need to learn "China Grove!" 8)  And one of these days I'll get the rest (i.e., the non-acoustic-guitar parts) of "Stairway To Heaven" down...

There are a couple BTO songs that I think might suit my strumming style too ("Let It Ride," "Takin' Care Of Business," and "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet").  I keep making mental notes of these songs when I hear them on the radio -- but then I forget which songs I'd noted when it comes time to sit down and learn the chord progressions... :-\

cassidy9914

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »
WOW! really nice Tim. Kinda looks like Gibson's Tribute series Gold Top minus the selector switch plastic R & T ring. I have a Tribute but in Faded Honey Burst with 490 pups but the back looks just like mine. Must be the Mahogany.
16 214ce-K Deluxe
17 Academy Series A12
12 Fender FSR DG Black Strat
15 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
16 Fender Squier Classic 50's Strat
17 Gibson LP Tribute

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 10:26:31 AM »
Nice find Tim. I don't know much about electric either but know enough to know that is a classic and probably tough to find with original parts and in great shape. Thanks for sharing.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »
WOW! really nice Tim. Kinda looks like Gibson's Tribute series Gold Top minus the selector switch plastic R & T ring. I have a Tribute but in Faded Honey Burst with 490 pups but the back looks just like mine. Must be the Mahogany.

Thanks!  The body on mine (and I'm not sure how common this is on current-model Les Pauls or any of the Tributes) is a 'sandwich' of Mahogany and a thin sheet of (I think) Maple.  Let's see yours, though!

Nice find Tim. I don't know much about electric either but know enough to know that is a classic and probably tough to find with original parts and in great shape. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure, Dave!  I do hope nothing on it goes awry because of age; like you said, the parts would probably nearly impossible to replace...  :-\

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 07:51:34 PM »
Thanks!  The body on mine (and I'm not sure how common this is on current-model Les Pauls or any of the Tributes) is a 'sandwich' of Mahogany and a thin sheet of (I think) Maple.  Let's see yours, though!

Tim,

The maple/mahogany is definitely the traditional wood combo for this model of this guitar and presumably also for all the Custom and Standard versions. Never heard of them changing it out, but I haven't been active in electrics for almost 3 decades. Still have my LP Standard, but it's been off my playing lineup for years.

Don

PS> Great acquisition; congrats.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:53:14 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 08:23:01 PM »

Tim,

The maple/mahogany is definitely the traditional wood combo for this model of this guitar and presumably also for all the Custom and Standard versions. Never heard of them changing it out, but I haven't been active in electrics for almost 3 decades. Still have my LP Standard, but it's been off my playing lineup for years.

Don

PS> Great acquisition; congrats.

Thanks, Don!  Good information to know!  You need to reacquaint yourself with your Les Paul!