Author Topic: Taylor Limiteds - Are they just about the looks?  (Read 14951 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Taylor Limiteds - Are they just about the looks?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 07:04:32 PM »
Couldn't agree more... even the ones that didn't float my boat were easy to recognize as great values, based on the wood choices, the attention to detail, the extra features. The limiteds are about much more than occasionally substituting rosewood on the 400 series for the budget-minded player (as if we needed a fourth rosewood series in the Taylor line! I'm so glad that Taylor continues to offer ovangkol, which is a superb tonewood that has helped to broaden the horizons of the open-minded player.).

BTW, I'm fortunate to be able to afford some of the higher-end Taylor offerings, although I'm not being compensated by any mega church for the Christ-centered music I compose, record and perform. With that said, I'm glad that Taylor continues to offer limiteds that appeal to a broader spectrum of musicians' budgets.  I think that the Taylor limiteds program represents a win-win for the company and its customers.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

All Together

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 09:37:04 PM »
Couldn't agree more... even the ones that didn't float my boat were easy to recognize as great values, based on the wood choices, the attention to detail, the extra features. The limiteds are about much more than occasionally substituting rosewood on the 400 series for the budget-minded player (as if we needed a fourth rosewood series in the Taylor line! I'm so glad that Taylor continues to offer ovangkol, which is a superb tonewood that has helped to broaden the horizons of the open-minded player.).

Well I don't see why we wouldn't "need" a fourth Rosewood series in the Taylor line, given that Martin has Rosewood series in the 21s, 28s, 35s and 40s series.  Having three Rosewood series all in the higher price bracket is like Martin only offering Rosewood for 40s, 41s, 42s and 45s but offering Ovangkol for the 28s.

And what's wrong with more choice?  Like I say, they don't do it because they don't want to compete with their own line, not because more choice for the consumer is a bad thing.

There's nothing wrong with offering Ovangkol for "open-minded players" but what's wrong with offering Rosewood for close-minded players alongside Ovangkol so that the consumer has a choice?

Because it doesn't fit with their profit maximizing business model, that's why (not that I have anything against businesses doing what's best for them, I'm just simply pointing it out).

BTW, I'm fortunate to be able to afford some of the higher-end Taylor offerings, although I'm not being compensated by any mega church for the Christ-centered music I compose, record and perform. With that said, I'm glad that Taylor continues to offer limiteds that appeal to a broader spectrum of musicians' budgets.  I think that the Taylor limiteds program represents a win-win for the company and its customers.

What I meant by that was not that they are necessarily compensated by their churches, but rather that they are the demographic that are targeted, as those who attend megachurches tend to be in the wealthier demographic, and the teenagers in that demographic are heavily influenced by their worship idols to play Taylor guitars (same goes for their worship idols who play Collings (Chris Tomlin) or McPherson (which actually gives their guitars away to many Christian artists for free: http://mcphersonguitars.com/artists/ - there's actually a video on YouTube where Keith Harkin says: "I've got one, Dave [Bakey]'s got one, [McPherson]'re great, they give their guitars to everyone").

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 10:25:49 PM »
I'll be brief.. We obviously disagree about the value of Taylor limiteds - and the glut of rosewood acoustic guitars on the market.  I respect your right to your opinion.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:37:11 AM by Strumming Fool »

fuman

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 05:45:05 PM »
I have a GSCE maple limited that looks gorgeous and sounds phenomenal.  There's a lot of detail-oriented stuff (the sitka top is beautiful; almost like subtly-flamed maple) and a nice mix of ostentatious (Koa bindings and backstrap!) and subdued elements (No inlays on plain, smooth, black ebony fingerboard and headstock overlay).  Great bass response and pretty loud.  I'm not a very good strummer, which is a shame given how great this guitar sounds in the hands of someone who is.  Much more than a pretty face. 

taylorgal

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »
I'd been wanting a Taylor NS for some time. Played several other nylon string hybrids but didn't like any as well as Taylor's. But, I also wanted a cedar top, which is normally only offered in the 700 series and more than I wanted to spend. Then, along comes a used 2011 214 NS Fall LTD, with a cedar top in the AGF classified. I bought it and am very happy. Not sure what it went for new, but I got a great deal.
2015 512ce 12 fret
2010 512c
2011 Ltd ns214 ce
Holden GS Mini
Seagull Rustic Entourage Parlor
Ovation 1517 Ultra, circa mid 80's
Cigar box guitar made by local builder

burns

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 04:27:39 PM »
No, my 516e Fall Limited (2013) has the upgraded tuners Gotoh & Adirondack braces.  Those two things are functional.

taylorgal

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 12:55:05 AM »
I'd been considering a gas mini for a while when they came out with the Holden Village Limited. With an Engelmann  spruce soundboard, I think it's definitely more than about looks. I also bought a used 2011 Limited 214N ce. I really wanted a nylon Taylor with  cedar top, which are normally only available in their high end series. But the 2011 Limited had a cedar top. Great guitar at a great price. So yeah, I would say a Limited often gets you something special.
2015 512ce 12 fret
2010 512c
2011 Ltd ns214 ce
Holden GS Mini
Seagull Rustic Entourage Parlor
Ovation 1517 Ultra, circa mid 80's
Cigar box guitar made by local builder

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 11:31:18 AM »
I would love to see Taylor produce at least one LTD each cycle without cutaway or electronics and focus on wood, inlay, and binding. Perhaps due to my age, I see a full-bodied acoustic as more timeless and ageless than one with cutaway and electronics. I used to wax and wane about Taylor producing an 8XX series with standard maple binding and sure enough they listened, and hopefully they'll hear my plea to return to their roots a bit and produce a full-bodied LTD (or two) acoustic without electronics but instead offer some really unusual woods, binding, and fingerboard inlay (that one couldn't otherwise order)....

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 02:45:59 PM »
I would love to see Taylor produce at least one LTD each cycle without cutaway or electronics and focus on wood, inlay, and binding. Perhaps due to my age, I see a full-bodied acoustic as more timeless and ageless than one with cutaway and electronics. I used to wax and wane about Taylor producing an 8XX series with standard maple binding and sure enough they listened, and hopefully they'll hear my plea to return to their roots a bit and produce a full-bodied LTD (or two) acoustic without electronics but instead offer some really unusual woods, binding, and fingerboard inlay (that one couldn't otherwise order)....

I have been leaning the same way as far as full-bodied guitars.  First off I am never up to the 14th fret.  95% of the time I never plugin, I have the batteries out of all of my guitars, so I don't really need an ES system.  I am however in to different woods and to a lesser extent cosmetics.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:49:01 AM by MGap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 03:45:45 PM »
In case you didn't know, I'm in total alignment with jrporter and mgap. No cutaway (even though I do hang out around the 14th fret quite often), and I'd rather install reversible, non-invasive electronics in my acoustics if at all. Love the woods, different bracings and organic inlays - that's what attracts me to the Limiteds.

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 05:10:18 PM »
Ok Andy, are you listening????

I have been leaning the same way as far as full bodied guitars.  First off I am never up to the 14th fret.  95% of the time I never plug in, I have the batteries out of all of my guitars, so I don't really need a ES system.  I am however in to different woods and to a lesser extent cosmetics.

In case you didn't know, I'm in total alignment with jrporter and mgap. No cutaway (even though I do hang out around the 14th fret quite often), and I'd rather install reversible, non-invasive electronics in my acoustics if at all. Love the woods, different bracings and organic inlays - that's what attracts me to the Limiteds.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:14:38 PM by jrporter »

HAPPYDAN

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 03:12:28 PM »
A truly great read. I've been drooling over a 412e-Rosewood LTD. Sounds like the LTD versions are worth going after. Since I haven't found one in a store, I might have to order online which I would rather not do. I've done that twice; one was a stinker and the other a winner. BTW, the winner was a Taylor HV Mini from the factory. The stinker - well, was not. Can't go wrong with a Taylor. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:31:05 PM by HAPPYDAN »

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 06:22:23 PM »
On my LTD Taylors they have adirondack bracing and feature CV With relief route.  Plus one of them featured Gotoh tuners which are not just about looks.  I think the limited runs are a good value inhancement
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Alan7170

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 11:09:33 AM »
It was a Taylor ltd that got me to take the plunge into a higher end (for me) guitar...Just about a year ago in fact.  I have a 314ce RW-ltd but even more than the RW (which I do enjoy) it was the cedar top that I fell for.  At the time, and maybe still, I would have had to jump to a 700 series guitar for a cedar top.

Alan

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 05:24:18 PM »
there have been LTD models that
had aesthetic enhancements only -
among them
96 NGSM (512c)
97 KMSM (612c)
99 5-600ceAB
00 CBSM (912c), GSLJ (610), GSST (612), JCCM (914c), KLSM (k65c), RSSM (k24c)
03 600L1/L2/L3 (600), 900L1 (900), HRLTD (600), JDCM (k22)
     RHLTD (615), RNSM (615ce), SHSM (k22), WHCM (900)
04 300-KL30s
12 GSminiSLTDs
14 400SLTDs (gloss)
16 312/6ceLTD (sunburst)

the others have usually had different tonewoods &/
or bracing material, inlay & tuning machine changes
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:59:23 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/