Author Topic: Hello Everyone and Welcome!  (Read 110983 times)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Hello Everyone and Welcome!
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:30:14 AM »
Hello Everyone!

I just thought that I'd get the ball rolling.  This is our first sub-forum.  I also believe that is is the most important.  It's place where "new" and "old" members alike can introduce themselves. 

This sub-forum really sets the tone for this forum/website.  I want all new members to know that they are extremely valued and welcomed!

I'll go first!  My name is Josh, and I'm the founder of this forum/website.  It was born out of a love to learn and discuss all things "Quality Taylor Guitars." 

Anyways, we'd love to have you join us!  I hope you all enjoy it here, and hope that you'll find our little community warm, friendly and inviting. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:19:44 PM by jjrpilot-admin »
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

davwir

• A Coco-nut
Re: Hello Everyone and Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 04:39:55 AM »
First, a big thanx to Josh for putting this new forum together.
I like the idea of idea of learning about each other with some introductory information as well..
I can't believe Josh's excitement and enthusiasm for all things Taylor, and he just got his first one this year! It's awesome, as only a few brands spark this kind of fervor among their fans in any market; besides Taylor I also happen to find myself drawn to some of the others as well, like Apple and Harley Davidson.

I'm Dave. I've been playing bass and guitar for almost 30 years now (holy cow, has it been that long!), since I was 13. I started buying, collecting, selling, and trading stuff pretty early on, though nothing of value until post college. I played in working bar and wedding bands a lot then as a side job, and always funneled any money I made playing music back into gear. In 1995, I was finally ready to buy a "good" acoustic, so I went shopping. I grew up on the east coast (I am on the west coast now), and had been to the Martin factory a few times, and everyone knew that name was the standard. In a little acoustic shop I went to, the dealer gave me a Taylor 810 to compare to the others I told him I was interested in.. I couldn't believe the difference in playability, and the quality of the build and tone. I even loved the case (I still miss those pink poodle Taylor-made cases). I walked out a Taylor owner, and a have been a fan, player, and collector ever since.

I believe they have continued to innovate in so many ways, and make their best products ever today.
Over the years I have managed to accumulate some nice guitars... I especially have been obsessed with Cocobolo ever since those 2008 Fall Limiteds hit. That Wood and Steel issue had me at first sight. I keep waiting for the GAS to mellow, but so far, it hasn't happened..lol.. I usually try to justify any new ones by agreeing to sell another one.. Those are the hardest choices ever, though!

I have been fortunate to have made a lot of great friends, even with some dealers and some Taylor staff over the years, thanx to this "hobby"..  I wish I had found the online Forums long ago, but I've only been a daily Taylor reader on the AGFs for a year or so now.. And I am exciting by the prospects of meeting all of you HERE, and in the official Taylor forum soon.

Happy playing!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:55:45 AM by davwir »

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:08:57 AM »
Thanks Josh for creating the first new sub-forum  :)  I've been here since day two, but if you will excuse me, I need to introduce myself.  Oh, thanks for making this place a reality.....
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

Paul

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 01:00:19 AM »
Hi guys,

Invited by JJrpilot and here I am.

I'm Paul from Malaysia started playing 3 yrs ago at 37yrs. My one and only guitar is FG730s and planning to get a Taylor in the near future.
I'm strumming most of the time at home or small groups. Keen to learn some fingerstyle playing at some point.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 01:05:43 AM »
Hi guys,

Invited by JJrpilot and here I am.

I'm Paul from Malaysia started playing 3 yrs ago at 37yrs. My one and only guitar is FG730s and planning to get a Taylor in the near future.
I'm strumming most of the time at home or small groups. Keen to learn some fingerstyle playing at some point.

Welcome Paul!!!!! :)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 02:01:26 PM »
Hello Dave, Chi, and Paul! :) Glad all of you were able to get comfy here and look forward to more of your input! Thanks for coming over! :D
Cindy

steve-wv

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 05:50:46 PM »
hey everyone im steve 40 years old and i live in west virginia,where im an electrician for a coal company here.i bought my first guitar this past monday and it came it today.so i have no clue what im doing yet but i hope in time i can make some nice sounds come out of it.by the way its a taylor 614 ce with honey burst.

Gary0319

• Sarasota FL USA
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 05:57:10 PM »
hey everyone im steve 40 years old and i live in west virginia,where im an electrician for a coal company here.i bought my first guitar this past monday and it came it today.so i have no clue what im doing yet but i hope in time i can make some nice sounds come out of it.by the way its a taylor 614 ce with honey burst.

That's a REALLY nice first guitar............be sure you post pics in the NTGD sub forum.

OH, and Welcome, nice folks on this forum.

Gary
Taylor 612c Quilted Maple - 1994
Taylor Custom GC All Mahogany - 2010
Guild GAD30R - 2005
Recording King ROS-06 - 2010
Eastman E10 OM - 2011
Greg Bennett OM-08 - 2009
Yamaha CGX-171SCF Flamenco - old

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 06:11:53 PM »

Steve!  Welcome to our forum!  Make yourself at home sir!  Glad to have you!

Paul

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
You've started on the right track. Just make sure you ask around, these guitar guys are cool.  ;)

GBYork

• Ageing Folk Rocker!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
Thanks for the invite Josh.

My name is Geoff and I'm from way across the pond in the UK.

I play a '99 712 and just love it!

Looking forward to being part of a great community.

Happy New Year!

Geoff
I've spent most of my money on women, whiskey and guitars - the rest I just wasted

Martin SP000-16TR (1996) with LR Baggs element
Taylor 712 (1999) with Fishman VT Ellipse
Tanglewood Mandolin
Fishman Loudbox (Original)

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 08:44:12 PM »
I figured it out!! I knew if I kept clicking I"d find it.
My name is Steve,from South Mississippi.
I played my first Taylor in 1994.We were on the way to the Vicksburg Civil War Park & stopped at a Subway to eat. Next door was a small guitar shop.4 hours later we resumed our trip and my love affair w/Taylor guitars began.
At the time I was playing a great guitar ,a M----- D3-18 in bluegrass settings & small coffee shop type bars,etc.
Anyway, a few months later I bought my first Taylor ,a 510.I was in a store in Jackson,there was one behind the counter.The owner allowed me to restring it. When I picked the A string,it almost jumped off the bench.A couple hours later I left w/it.
That's how it all began. I've been working on guitars since the late '80s & Taylors are the most dependable guitars out there.
Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your forum.
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

spieler

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but from up here in Yankee Land, every part of Mississippi is "South Mississippi."  ;)

I haven't been in MS for years, but in my early life I often visited extended family in Purvis, Hattiesburg, Bay St. Louis, and points in-between. My lasting memories include heat, snakes, playing in the insecticide fog after a plane spraying chemicals passed over, and gumbo, not necessarily in that order.

Welcome!

~ S.

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 07:08:18 PM »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but from up here in Yankee Land, every part of Mississippi is "South Mississippi."  ;)

I haven't been in MS for years, but in my early life I often visited extended family in Purvis, Hattiesburg, Bay St. Louis, and points in-between. My lasting memories include heat, snakes, playing in the insecticide fog after a plane spraying chemicals passed over, and gumbo, not necessarily in that order.

Welcome!

~ S.
I grew up in Purvis, Went MS State ,live 30mi N of Hattiesburg
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

HondaMC1

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »
Glad to see the "Taylor" Forum will continue with you and with El Cajon in the future.
I appreciate being able to "go to" my area of interest for knowledge or enjoyment.   
I am very pleased with Taylor Customer Service and the Service Center folks and enjoy getting
to stop by for a tour or visit to the gift shop. 
Taylor 814ce
Taylor GS Mahogany FLTD
Taylor 654ce 12 String Red/Maple
R. Taylor Style 1 Spruce / Maple
Taylor T3 Bigbsy Tobacco
Taylor T5 Koa
Taylor T5 12 String Black with Inlay (sold)
Taylor Solidbody Standard Tobacco (sold)
K4
Genz Benz Shen Pro 200
Roland AC60
Carvin X100B - PA620
Bogner 40/20w
Bose L1 and LII w/ B2 subs