Author Topic: What are these worth?  (Read 33024 times)

kenjiobi

What are these worth?
« on: August 31, 2012, 01:19:02 AM »
2002 614ce Spruce/Flamed Maple
2006 915ce Jumbo Rosewood/Englemann Spruce

Would like to know more history about my jumbo as there seems to be little info out there. TIA for your input!

egkor

Re: What are these worth?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 02:19:19 AM »
Got to say, I'm really liking that 915ce!   :)

-Gary K
Taylor- 614ce (2012), 315ce (2010)
Martin- DX1 (2009)

kenjiobi

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 02:47:46 AM »
How do you like your 614ce's? I'm thinking about selling the one pictured and trying to get a current value. thanks.
Michael

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »
How do you like your 614ce's? I'm thinking about selling the one pictured and trying to get a current value. thanks.
Michael

Hi Michael,

when you sign up with E-bay, you can view sales of simmilar items up to a certain date in the past. I think maximally 3 months but it could be more.
Googling for the guitarbrand + modeltype + year of build will also often yield some information about current prices.

Ludwig

egkor

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
Michael

Hi Michael (@kenjiobi),

1.  We can't talk pricing here, its a forum rule. Even if we did, all it would be is opinions, which may or may not be accurate.

IMHO:

2.  Your 614ce is very common, that is its easy to find them for sale used.  For this reason it hurts its value at least a little. But that's also the good news, the GA/X14 shape is Taylor's best selling shape and I believe you have a good market of potential buyers for it.

3.  Your 915ce IMHO is much more rare, its hard (maybe impossible?) to find and therefore that adds value for that reason. People really like the 9XX series, which is a plus.

4.  The best way to place a value on your guitars is to do your own investigation.

5.  I think it will be easier to find a value for the 614ce since its common, and harder to find a value for the 915ce since its rare.

6.  You can use Ebay to search for what past actual sales amounts have been for 614ce models.  For the 915ce you could check Ebay but it would not surprise me if there are no records of past sales due to its rarity.

7.  You could take your guitar(s) to a local Taylor dealer and ask them to appraise them for you.  They would probably give you a trade-in value, which gives you an idea of what they would resell the guitar for after their mark-up.

8.  If you take the guitars to Guitar Center and ask what their trade in value is, they will attempt to look at past actual sales on Ebay, and then offer you 60% of what they feel is a price they could sell the guitar for.  So you could take their 60% offer, add the remaining 40% to get their idea of a actual selling price (which may or may not be realistic, sometimes they are low, most times they are too high).

9.  Check out Craigslist to see what asking prices are in your area, at least for 614ce's for sale.  Caution, when I look at Craigslist for Taylor 614ce's in my area I feel most ads/sellers are asking too much, and therefore the guitar does not sell.

10.  Find out what the guitars sell for new. Hint: They can sell for less than what's on the tags (Minimum Advertised Price or MAP).  Now if you price your used Taylor XYZ close to the price of a new Taylor XYZ, why would a buyer want yours?  This is how I know many used Taylor prices are just too high, because they are close in price to what I can get a new Taylor (of that same model) for.

After you start watching prices for used Taylor 614ce's of various year models w/ various finishes and built-in pickup systems, you will begin to see what their pricing is.  Like I said before this is much easier for the 614ce and much harder for the 915ce.

You can start by going to google and search for Taylor 614ce, Taylor 915ce and see what results you get.

Hope this helps.

-Gary K
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:50:25 PM by egkor »
Martin- DX1 (2009)

kenjiobi

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »
thanks for all the input, Gary. I've seen a pretty large spread for the 614 and wondered what their really going for. I'm keeping the 915 and am interested in it's history. I'm not sure how long they made it but I've heard that they stopped making this model and you can only get one BTO now.

egkor

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:28:31 PM »
Hi again Michael (@kenjiobi),

Your 915ce to me is a beauty!

The Jumbo shape went on hiatus this model year (2012). Taylor will have another Jumbo shape, and it will be a different shape/configuration/build than the last.

For the time I've been aware of Taylors and have been shopping and paying attention, I have only come across 2 standard production Jumbo shape models "in the flesh":  My 2010 315ce (sapele/spruce), and a 2011 615ce (maple/spruce) that I auditioned and returned.  (I played an exotic Custom Jumbo at a "Find Your Fit" event but it was really just to see and touch a Taylor Jumbo for the first time.) The Jumbos have been more elusive to find.  Maybe for the fewer production Jumbos made, when a store might get one I could see it selling quickly.  I think people that like Jumbos keep a watch out and snap them up when one comes along.  I did that with my 315ce.

With regard to your 614ce, this site (UTGF) has a Marketplace/Classified area, you could do a search there for 614ce and see the asking prices people have been posting.  There are other guitar forum sites on the Internet, you can look in those Classified areas too.   :)

When I look at used Taylor(s) I always compare it/them to the most current build.  For example, when I came across my 2008 614ce (regular production w/ standard amber finish), I saw it had the same build attributes (forward shifted bracing and scarf joint headstock) as a current (2012) 614ce, except the 2008 has the previous generation 9V Taylor ES.  And now (for model year 2012) that amber finish that Taylor used as standard on their 614ce for years is a up-charge!

Others here can provide a more thorough description, your 2002 614ce differs from current (2012) build as follows:

1.  ?? headstock attachment.  Pre-scarf joint (I believe scarf was started in 2007) Taylor used Finger joint attachment. I don't know what build method was done in 2002.  I like the scarf joint myself.  But a 2002 at the right price and I wouldn't care.

2.  Built-in pickup.  The 2002 (from your pics) is Pre-Taylor ES, a Fishman perhaps?  The debate continues, many people like and prefer Fishman(?) pre-Taylor ES pickup systems, this could be a plus to the right buyer.

3)  Bracing.  The 2002 is pre-forward shifted internal bracing that Taylor went to approx. Fall 2004 depending on series if I recall.  Many people prefer the tone of Taylors pre-forward shifted bracing (in other words, your model).

4)  Break-in or "opening up".  Your 2002 if it has been played regularly to semi-regularly should have gone through 2 tone changes (as described by Bob Taylor):  One that happens sooner and one that happens later (if it happens at all).  Now your 2002 may have that extra special secret sauce tone that happens with a well played broken in guitar.  You can't get that with a new guitar.

Another attribute is Condition.  The more scratch-and-ding free it is the more you should be able to sell it for.  My used 2008 has a small ding on the front sound board but under where my arm passes over the top.  Also has a small ding on the back.  Your can't see them unless you know they are there.  That contributed to a lower purchasing price for me.  And in my case the dings are desirable because now I can take the guitar out and play it live and not worry about dings so much!  :)

Another attribute is Fret Wear.  Are your frets worn and or pitted where a buyer will object?  A good setup with fret work will be +/- $100 so either have that done yourself, or price your guitar accordingly and be prepared to come down a bit if the buyer objects.

Another attribute is:  Case Condition.  A nice original Taylor case is worth more than a beat-up case.  I hope the case looks "decent", as sometimes the case makes the sale.

As a buyer I would use the guitar's overall condition, fret wear, and case condition as areas where I would look to attempt to negotiate pricing downward.

What might be the most important attribute:  Tone.  If the guitar sounds inspiring to play, especially that first strum first impression, then a buyer might be more inclined to overlook other things.

I hope you do well keeping/selling your Taylors.  You could always post your 614ce here in the Marketplace.  You have a Taylor audience here that might be looking for exactly the guitar you are selling.

-Gary K
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:47:09 PM by egkor »
Martin- DX1 (2009)

kenjiobi

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »
Wow Gary,
I really appreciate all your input. I think the 614ce is special as the sound is really open and clear. Definitely has the aged Maple vibe. The 915ce is just a monster... It sounds so full across the spectrum and has really great bell tones.

Both guitars for all intent and purpose have never been played. The 614 has the Fishman. I got them from a guy whose Father and brother played but not so much himself. Both his dad and sibling died and left him all their guitars and there it sat for the last ten years.

He also has a very rare NAMM classical w/Brazilian rosewood from the early '90s that was given to Taylor sales reps for hitting quotas that year. He's keeping that one though.

I'll definitely check out the marketplace. Since I'm new to the forum I didn't even realize there was one. Again, thanks so much for taking the time to reply and happy playing with your Taylors!

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 02:40:01 AM »
Got to say, I'm really liking that 915ce!   :)

-Gary K

I'm with Gary! As a lover and owner of Taylor jumbos, that 915ce is incredible. I have a 315ce and a 615ce L30 (30th Anniv special limited edition, honeyburst). I have longed for an 815ce or a 915ce to get a rosewood jumbo in my collection, and the 915's are getting harder and harder to come by. I used to see a few on eBay but in the last 2-3 years, they are non existent there (but most Taylor Jumbos are getting fewer and farther between on eBay). Your 915ce is a gorgeous specimen and you should be very proud to be her owner. I can give you my experience and opinion regarding values of both your 614ce and the 915ce if you'd like, but it must be done via PM (Private Message). So PM me and I'll tell you what I know. Otherwise, if you ever get ready to sell that beautiful 915ce, PM me and I'll take her off your hands! (Although Gary might want to fight with me on that! :) A bidding war is always a good thing as a seller!) Welcome to the UTGF.
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

kenjiobi

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »
Hi DSamuel24, How do I post PM to you and Gary? thank you, Michael

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 03:21:27 PM »
Hi DSamuel24, How do I post PM to you and Gary? thank you, Michael

Looks like you figured out how to send a PM, since I just got one from you. :) I'll get back to you via PM as well.

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »
Hey, where did your FS posting for the 915ce go? I was looking forward to following that sale, and maybe even seeing if I could get in on the action. :) I hope you took that posting down due to your decision and/or financial ability to keep that beautiful baby. Yes?

kenjiobi

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 10:06:54 PM »
It got deleted by the moderators due to my newbness. I don't have the 50 posts needed to create a sales topic... I can kind of see the purpose of this new policy but it's not like I'm gonna be in here selling dozens of guitar and spamming the board. I'll just have to wait until I get enough UTGF cred and try again. Will probably try eBay as well. thanks, Dustin.

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »
Oh yeah... I forgot about the "newbie" rule for posting on the Classifieds board. I agree with the rule, since it will definitely discourage folks from coming here JUST to post an item for sale and then never be involved again. I do think you are gonna hang around and be a productive part of the forum in general, so it shouldn't be too long (just a couple weeks or even a number of days) until you have your 50 posts and can list the 915ce again. Yeah, I'd be really curious to see what happens on eBay. I think you'd get low-balled, and then for a sale that big, the eBay fees are pretty hefty. You might try the AGF (Acoustic Guitar Forum . com) but I think over there you actually have to give a donation (pay a fee) to be qualified to post in the classifieds section. There's always Craigslist and who knows but the fervent buyer who is looking for just your guitar is right there in your town looking on CL, knowing he won't find it and... BAM, there it is. It could happen. :)

kenjiobi

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 02:51:01 AM »
I agree. I didn't realize it was such a large community. Very supportive and I've really appreciated the high quality input from Egkor and dsamuel24. Since these were my first Taylors it's really great to have this community as a resource. that said and in an attempt to get my posts up here's my guitar list at the moment. What I really want is a nice Mahogany dreadnaught. Thoughts?

2006 Taylor 915ce
2002 Taylor 614ce
1973 Takamine 370S
2007 Blue Ridge BR-361
2005 Seagull Model 29266 Maritime S12
2010 Mumbo Jumbo Hauser Concert Classical - Sapele/Spruce
2010 Kala ASLAT - Lacewood/Spruce Ukulele

1965 Fender Telecaster
1973 Fender Stratocaster
2010 Ibanez Artcore AF105-NT
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Quilted top

2010 Ibanez Artcore AGB200 Thinline Bass