Author Topic: R. Taylor Style 2 cedar/mahogany  (Read 10819 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: R. Taylor Style 2 cedar/mahogany
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
My RTs have a one-piece neck, but not at the heel.  You got a special one there, man!  I wonder if there's a correlation with build year??  I wonder if yours being an 07 may have been a cutoff point of true 1-piece necks.  Both mine are 08s and both have a 2-part heel.

Edward

Bill R

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 05:59:28 AM »
James,
Congrats on acquiring such a lovely instrument.  I agree with your comment that it doesn't take much to coax a beautiful sound out of RT2's.  Enjoy,
Bill
Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO

Raven

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »
Gorgeous natural mahogany !!! The cocobolo  offsets it nicely !!!!
2012 Fall Limited GSce Quilted Sapele

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »
Beautiful woods on that guitar.  Classy, and yes, elegant.
Congrats.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

Terry

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
Very nice. Congratulations. Don't think I've seen an R. Taylor with a slot head. Very cool! 8)
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

Jannie

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 01:53:11 PM »
I WANT, I Want, I WANT!  OMGoddess that is beautiful, and yes the green inlay is wonderful.

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 11:11:28 PM »
With some extra time on my hands today, I took this one in to Taylor to have them install a strap button. Tim Luranc himself installed it, and did a quick neck reset while he had it, to get it where he thought it should be. (I had no complaints about it before but now it plays even better!) I don't know if Mr Luranc says this about all 1200 R. Taylors that were made, but he called this particular guitar a good one.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

resonator48

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 09:47:17 AM »
Oh my, I'm drooling! What a beauty. Congrats on a wonderful find.

I''m in the midst of looking for a Taylor 12 Fret GC Mahogany/Cedar for my daughter. To tell the truth, I'd like one myself. How is the bass response on your R Taylor? I've thought about going with either a modified build or a BTO, but it scares me that it may fall short in the tone/sound department.

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 12:50:42 PM »
How is the bass response on your R Taylor?

It's surprising for such a small bodied guitar. I'm not going to try to convince you that this guitar is suitable for flatpicking Bluegrass music, but overall it's very balanced. For awhile I had a GC5 (same woods) and was favorably impressed with it, too. I don't want to say "you can't go wrong" because you can, but in my experience Taylor produces a very consistent cedar/mahogany grand concert size guitar.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 01:04:42 PM »
Beautiful guitar James, the slotted headstock is a nice touch, a rarely seen option.

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 07:30:28 PM »
Thanks--here's a detail of the rosette that shows off the cocobolo binding rather well, I think:

James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 08:25:44 PM »
Oh my, I'm drooling! What a beauty. Congrats on a wonderful find.

I''m in the midst of looking for a Taylor 12 Fret GC Mahogany/Cedar for my daughter. To tell the truth, I'd like one myself. How is the bass response on your R Taylor? I've thought about going with either a modified build or a BTO, but it scares me that it may fall short in the tone/sound department.

I have an RT Style-2 (which I coincidentally bought on the same day!) that is quilted maple b/s and engelmann top.  It sounded so nice at Taylor I had to take it home.  That also offered me a chance to compare it side-by-side, taking my time, with my GA7e (cedar/rw) as well as a 410Ltd (spruce/ovang).  The depth of tone and low-bass frequencies my RT-2 was  producing was nothing short of amazing in that it is as if its build defied its size.  While its volume was clearly not as pronounced as my GA or 410, its bass tones and overall balance (as well as warmth ...nothing "maple-bright" about this guitar, and had gorgeous, present mids!) was truly "special" in this guitar.  Suffice it to say I ended up selling the GA7 and 410, but my RT2 is a keeper through and through.

And I can also say that had played jalbert's RT2 at Taylor, along with numerous other style 2 RTs, and have to say the deep tones are definitely part of its tonal quality and build.  If you can find one, they are worth hearing/playing, IMHO.  That said, I have played two 12-fret models at RoadShows and was likewise impressed with them for largely similar reasons.  If you want the tone and don't mind sacrificing a bit of the overall volume (heck, amp it if ya need to ;) ), I would most certainly look into a used RT-2 or a current 12-fret model.  These two seem to really have something special going on in my book.

Edward

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:31:14 PM by Edward »

Drock2k1

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
Very nice indeed. I bet it's warm as a campfire.