Author Topic: Help a new member...  (Read 1237 times)

jmied01

Help a new member...
« on: September 16, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
Hi y'all, I'm sure everyone comes on and does this, but please help me pick out my new guitar!

Seriously though, I've had guitars come and go, but none that I ever really loved until I got into Taylors. Now I have a 2007 314ce that I'm married to; we've been through a lot and she's got my arm worn into her and I'm keeping her forever. That said, I'm looking for a bit of a "cherry on top". I want something a little flashier, a little broader, a little more complex in tone as my 314 is very solid, comfortable and does it all, but it's not overly bright and still somewhat light on the bottom end.

So I'm looking for something different enough that it might compliment my 314 rather than replace it, I started looking at DN's and GO's like the 810e and 818e as rosewood has always caught my ear. Then I played a 618e and was very impressed, not only with the sound, but the inlays and backstrap and the curl of the maple and all the little pretty stuff. As I played it I couldn't help but notice the boomy sound, so that made me a little nervous that in recording I might struggle to tame that big low end, or playing in a group I might overpower some of my friends; maybe I need to look into the 616/716/816?

I'm convinced that I would be happy with any of them, but I can't seem to narrow it down. The ones on my list are:

616ce
716ce
816ce
816ce DLX (Is it worth it? I'll give this to my grandkids one day; maybe worth the splurge?)
618e
818e

I play a little bit of everything- plugged in, heavy strumming at church, unplugged in small groups, studio recording, fingerstyle; pretty much all across the board, so I like to have a variety of tones available. I did get to play the 618e and 818e, but I haven't seen any of the rest of them in person.

How would you whittle down this list?

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Help a new member...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Ultimately, you'll have to chose which guitar is best for you.  But we can try to help you focus on which Taylor that might be.

Based on your self-described playing style, the Grand Auditorium (GA; x14) that you have is probably best-suited to your overall needs.  The models you're now considering -- the Grand Symphony (GS; x16) and Grand Orchestra (GO; x18) -- are progressively more suited to strumming players.  As you say you do quite a bit of strumming, either of those models is a good choice and will provide you with a guitar that is progressively more distinctive-sounding from the 314 you already own.  While the GS or GO models can be fingerpicked, you may find your 314 will remain your go-to guitar for that style of playing.  As you already noted, the GO bodies can be 'boomy' sounding; in my experience, that's more a distinctive characteristic of the body size than the wood combination, although the woods can either enhance or suppress the characteristic.  Of Taylor's standard model lines, I personally think the all-Koa K28 is the most 'boomy' sounding GO, with the pre-2014 (prior to the current model line's re-voicing) 618's being the least...

Regarding wood choices:  the Rosewood-bodied 700 or 800 models will probably give you something more distinctive, again, from your Sapele 314.  In addition to differences in the aesthetic treatments, there are internal (i.e., bracing) differences between the 700- and 800-Series guitars; play both and find out which is more appealing to your ear.  Same story with the 800-DLX models:  in addition to the rounded armrest (which is quite a nice, functional touch), I believe Taylor also uses Adirondack Spruce bracing in them, which you may find better-sounding than the Sitka Spruce used in the standard models.  The latest iteration of the 600's, I find, are not as distinctively clear and bright as they were prior to the re-voicing; their tone has been shifted more toward the bass end so as to take on more of the sonic characteristics of Mahogany -- a close cousin to the Sapele used in your 314.  Still, you may find that combination works best for you if the 618 ends up being the most appealing sonically.

You're on your own with aesthetic treatments and which is most appealing; that's so purely subjective that I wouldn't even try to influence you there.  Bottom line with all of the guitars on your short list:  go for what sounds best to you, then use aesthetic preference as a tie-breaker.  Given your playing preferences, I think you would be happy with any of the guitars you've listed; it's a question of which one makes sounds that make you the happiest.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

jmied01

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 07:19:30 PM »
Wow, thanks for the thorough reply. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a dealer in my area that would care enough to take the time to talk through different woods and bracing, etc, so i appreciate the insight. Looks like I might have to take a day to get out of town and find some more 7 & 800s to play before I make my decision.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:31:57 PM by jmied01 »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 07:58:02 PM »
You'll find as many different opinions as there are members here, because you can't go wrong with any of the fine models you're considering. To compliment your 314, you should still consider the 14 versions in these series as well.  I own grand auditoriums exclusively, and they all have individual personalities based on their wood combinations.  I just test drove a new 614 yesterday,  and I'm seriously considering adding one to my stable. Having said that, I would probably look at the newly designed 714 or 716 to compliment that 314. With these models, you'll have a contrasting top and back/sides wood and great aesthetic appointments. Again, that's just my opinion - they're all great choices. The one that speaks to you is the one you should take home.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 06:17:57 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TG

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
You have to play them, I play a lot of fingerstyle and am always told x14s fit what I do.  The problem is to my ear there is no question the grand symphony sounds better so I have a small (and growing) collection of the things. 

When I was faced with something similar I got an 816ce, so that's my two cents.
1992 Taylor 410
2014 Taylor 214dlxCE
2016 Taylor 816CE
2017 Taylor K26CE
1995 Guild JF30-12
2007 Fender Jimmy Vaughan Strat
2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 10:11:20 AM »
If I was getting a new Taylor (I'm not), I'd be giving a long look at the 710. They look and sound awesome to me.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

Frayed Knot

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 10:04:31 PM »
I have bought my last 2 Taylors from GC, "ship to store".  Say what you will about GC but my local guys are great and it's the only shop in town...(walmart effect perhaps?).  I ordered an 810 CE from them and I just could not bond with it, mainly 'cause I couldn't get the ES-2 to sound right on my Bose L1 model 2.  The return was no questions asked.  I asked the guy what the return limits were and he said that if a customer "abused" the return policy that that they might be blocked from the privilege.  Nearest dealer to me with a decent collection of Taylors is about 120 miles away. 

I would also recommend Elderly Music (Lansing, MI) as a locally owned online dealer.  I just bought a new Pisgah banjo from them.  They post YouTube videos of many of their new banjos being played so it's pretty easy to compare the tonality of the instrument that will be shipped to you.  I am told that they will set up a local salesperson/player to work with you over the phone RE relative tonal & playability characteristics of the actual instrument that you will buy.  I ordered my instrument based on YouTube demos by elderly and others.  Elderly also has a return policy but you have to reimburse them for the initial shipping and pay your return shipping.  They don't otherwise charge a re-stocking fee. 

IMHO I would not worry about difficulty recording--record one track w ES-2 and another w a good condenser mic (separate tracks) with tube pre on each them eq to your ear at mixdown.  I would also not worry about playing with friends other than how to answer their gushing comments over your beautiful new axe. 

Final comment--I played a torrefied 600 series (I don't remember the format, 14 maybe) last year at Ithaca Guitar Works.  If I had your $$ burning a hole in my pocket I would have snatched it on the spot. 

Helluvah decision. 
David N
-1967 J-45 w Fishman Rare Earth pup
-1975 Les Paul Custom
-2001 410 CE w ES-1
-2002 PRS C-22 10 top
-2015 T-5 Z custom koa
-2016 314 CE-N
-2017 Pisgah w Dobson tone ring (banjo)
-Mesa Studio 22
-Mesa Rectoverb single rec
-Bose L1 model II

Cabarone

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 03:00:08 AM »
I'm a pretty simple guy, so all I can suggest is to play as many different models you can to see what really grabs you...just my two cents...
'65 Gibson B45 12 String
'91 Guild F25 ce NT
'96 Martin SPD16T
'13 Taylor 455 ce

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 10:41:16 AM »
Opinions? ...you asked for it :D

1. The GO bodies ...I don't care for them.  I wanted to like them when they first came out, really wanted to take one home. So I tried every x18 model and found them all bass heavy and, overall, lacking tonal definition.  Maybe better for a finger stylist perhaps.   Not "bad" guitars, per se, but not good enough for me to part with dough. Some love them; I can't.

2. The new 800s: Traditional (if there is such a thing) spruce/rw tone ...nice.  But IMHO not enough of a difference (oooh, I may get flamed for this one) from a good 314.  So if you love yours, I would not look at 800s.

3. The 600s: Taylor's new maple is worth trying.  You may like this, particularly in a GS body.

4. Contrast to compliment your beloved 314?  Go for a completely different body size, wood species, and build. 
    - Body: go GC if you want "intimate" and friendly; GS if you want bigger and bolder.
    - avoid Sitka as you've got a good one.  Go engelmann, euro spruce, cedar, or mahogany, (never tried lutz so can't comment on that) for top wood: each of
       which offer markedly a different timber and dynamics. And back/sides: lots to choose there but the top offers the primary sonic signature.
    - If the former doesn't offer enough tonal difference for you, try to find Taylors with difference bracings, from Standard to CV to AP, as well as adirondack as
       a bracing wood.  Big timbral differences here!

Happy hunting!  Take your time, discern objectively, soak in the differences, and enjoy the quest :D

Edward
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:43:48 AM by Edward »