Author Topic: Pro Luthier or home repair?  (Read 1473 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Pro Luthier or home repair?
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:35:55 PM »
Tomorrow I will go to Woodsong luthier in Boulder CO. to pick up my 89-year-old Gibson mandolin.  I decided to send it to the health spa and have it given a pro set up.  It is a wonderful mando and I decided it deserved a good tune up.

So, while I am down there I was thinking I should take them my 514e to have some work done.  The guitar has this very annoying B string twang (I think you all know what I am talking about), I can most times play and I don't notice the twang, but just today I was really annoyed.

Since I will be at the luthier I could take it with me, just drop it off and have a pro do it.  But, could I take care of this myself?, is it a job the unwashed could do successfully?, and if so how the in the world would I solve the problem?  How do you eliminate the B string twang?   

I typically do repairs like home improvements myself, and I am not afraid to work on my guitar.  I installed Gotoh tuners on my 814ceFLTD with no problems.  I am a bit nervous about filing down a nut or saddle on such a beautiful LTD Taylor.  Does anybody know what I will need to do to fix my B string twang or should I just go ahead and let the pro do it.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
Re: Pro Luthier or home repair?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:19:00 AM »
If you don't know what is wrong with it and don't know how to fix it, I would leave it to a pro. But that's me.

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »
I am a bit nervous about filing down a nut or saddle on such a beautiful LTD Taylor.  Does anybody know what I will need to do to fix my B string twang or should I just go ahead and let the pro do it.

As an experiment, you could get a small square of aluminum foil, fold it over about 2 or 3 times and slip it under the B string at the nut. If your twang goes away, then your problem is a low nut slot which is my guess. If it doesn't than you are better off letting your guy diagnose it.

Making your own nut is doable, I've done several, but frankly it's a PIA since I make do with less than optimal tools. Getting the string slot depth correct is tedious. You'd have to spend more on proper nut slot files alone than a tech would charge for installing a new nut.
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 11:35:57 AM »
Sounds like the nut to me, as well.  In which case if you already have a trustworthy guy who you know does great work, then that's the avenue you take.

Personally, I'm not averse to DIY-ing anything.  But good work on a nut requires good files first, and the years of trial/error is the difference between a "decent" job and a stellar one you can boast about.  Go for the stellar job; you'll thank yourself every time you play it.  :)

Edward

Old Poseur

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 05:06:04 PM »
Woodsongs in Boulder is fantastic.  Given how much I've spent on my gear, I would always have them do the work, particularly if I wasn't sure how to fix a problem.  Oh, and hi from Lyons!
2016 Taylor 812ce 12 Fret
2016 Taylor 552ce 12 Fret / 12 String

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »
Sounds like the nut to me, as well.  In which case if you already have a trustworthy guy who you know does great work, then that's the avenue you take.

Personally, I'm not averse to DIY-ing anything.  But good work on a nut requires good files first, and the years of trial/error is the difference between a "decent" job and a stellar one you can boast about.  Go for the stellar job; you'll thank yourself every time you play it.  :)
Edward

You are right Woodsongs has never let me down, they always do a good job.  The one thing about doing it yourself is that I would be given an excuse to buy more tools.
Woodsongs in Boulder is fantastic.  Given how much I've spent on my gear, I would always have them do the work, particularly if I wasn't sure how to fix a problem.  Oh, and hi from Lyons!

Hey Poseur, It has been a long time since I have been to Lyons.  Besides getting my guitar worked on by the best, I get to go to my home town, everytime I see the Flatirons it is a good thing. 

He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

mandoloonie

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:07:36 PM »
I would tweak the truss rod just a little, but I am not timid about such things..

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 10:15:02 PM »
I had a similar issue with my 514e LTD and ended up sending it in to Taylor.
They did fix it....but it was a combination of things including fret leveling, bridge replace, nut replace, neck realignment and truss rod adjustment.
It made me realize I should at least have a pro diagnose the problem before making a move on your own that you may regret. My vote is for the pro.
Good Luck